New WSM 22.5: 1st smoke tips?

BBrock

Picking up the WSM 22.5 tomorrow. Planning on smoking this weekend, probably going to stick to a pork shoulder until I get can it seasoned a bit. Nervous to try ribs at this point with the heat flucuations at the beginning. Any tips for the 1st smoke? Thanks!

Fire her up, shoulder on, rock on! Do you have a Maverick? I didn't have high issues with my WSM that some of the other guys have experienced. I shut down 2 of the bottom vents and use the last to control my temp. Works great, very steady temps.

Fire her up, shoulder on, rock on! Do you have a Maverick? I didn't have high issues with my WSM that some of the other guys have experienced. I shut down 2 of the bottom vents and use the last to control my temp. Works great, very steady temps.

Yeah, I have the ET-732. Still in the package, just need to calibrate. I figure for a 5-8 pounder, I will use the minion method and give it a go.

Clay flower pot base (wrapped in aluminum foil) sitting inside the foil wrapped water bowl with more foil on top that gets thrown away after cooking.
I tried water, for chicken then ribs, and never again. Temp control is fine without water.

I'm still fairly new at this, but here's a few tips I'd give to anyone just starting.

Fill the charcoal ring with your choice of charcoal. You'll be looking at an 10-12 hour smoke for the pork butt and don't wanna run out.
Use less lit charcoal than you think. Even now, I have to force myself to stop at 12-15 lit briquets.
Wait 30 minutes after making a damper adjustment before gauging your temp reading. A little adjustment goes a long way.
The temps will rise-n-fall, which is kinda cool watching on the Maverick. Let it do it's thing.

If you wanna kick it up a notch, toss a disposable aluminum foil pan full of store bought baked beans under the pork butt for the final couple of hours. You'll be glad you did.

Most importantly, have fun.

Ok that's what I've been doing with the water pan. I was just curious as to if its even needed under the saucer.

Chad, thanks for the post I will be getting a 22 WSM once it gets warmer in MN, and will use your post for my first smoke. Can I ask are the baked beans just to add a little moisture?

I think the baked beans are to catch some of the drippings from the butt and add some flavor to the beans from the smoke. Sounds delicious and I know Ill be doing this next time I smoke a butt!

Ok that's what I've been doing with the water pan. I was just curious as to if its even needed under the saucer.

Guys building the mini-WSM have had the clay pot break on them during the cook. And that's with a little one. I couldn't even find a pot big enough to fit onto the 22 WSM support tabs. I prefer using both. For me, the 16" clay pot base sits into the empty water pan perfectly.

Chad, thanks for the post I will be getting a 22 WSM once it gets warmer in MN, and will use your post for my first smoke. Can I ask are the baked beans just to add a little moisture?

Not for moisture, but for better eatin... lol As Justin said, the last remaining drippings from the pork combined with the smoke makes for some awesome baked beans.

PS - there ain't nuthin' wrong with smoking in the snow. :D

75565_10200343703011435_1780664918_n.jpg

Back