New to smoker use

Bryce

I just bought myself a used 18.5 WSM and plan to use it this weekend for the first time. I've got a pork butt to make some pulled pork. I can't wait to actually use it for my first ever smoke. Problem is I don't have my probe thermometer or chimney starter yet. I've read up on the minion method but I was wondering if anyone has used tumbleweeds for a fire starter before and if they could be used and be effective. I would also like to try some spare ribs just so I'm not firing it up for one small roast. I'm not sure if I'm trying too much to start out with. Just any kind of general tips would be appreciated

If you don't have a chimney starter, use charcoal liter, just make sure it all burns off before putting the meat on.

I just bought myself a used 18.5 WSM and plan to use it this weekend for the first time. I've got a pork butt to make some pulled pork. I can't wait to actually use it for my first ever smoke. Problem is I don't have my probe thermometer or chimney starter yet. I've read up on the minion method but I was wondering if anyone has used tumbleweeds for a fire starter before and if they could be used and be effective. I would also like to try some spare ribs just so I'm not firing it up for one small roast. I'm not sure if I'm trying too much to start out with. Just any kind of general tips would be appreciated

I don't see why you couldn't build the 12-20 coals it into a pyramid, put the tumbleweed underneath, and do it that way. some people also use a coffee can. id' try to not use lighter fluid. and btw. you can get a chimney starter pretty cheap at lowes/homedepot/various supermarkets. . .

Go big or go home, eh Bryce? :-D

Anything that will light the charcoal should work just fine. Like JE said, if you use something like lighter fluid, MatchLight, or something else with volatiles in it, make sure it's all burned out before adding to the smoker.

I'm just learning as well, but I think it's safe to figure 4-5 hours for ribs, and 12-ish for a butt, depending on size & thickness. I don't see why you couldn't manage both meats in one cook.

I always start my WSM with a propane torch that I bought for a few bucks at HD. I'm still going on the original bottle that I bought several years ago. The refills are very cheap. Just pile up 6 to 8 briquettes and light them up. Once lit, they don't go out unless you starve them for air.

CraigW

I'd recommend just picking up a chimney starter at Home Depot or Lowes. Get the starter cubes too, they're worth the $3.30. 24 of them and you only need to use one of them to start your chimney. And don't go with a cheap one, get the weber chimney it's worth it.

Last edited:
I've got all of the stuff I need on the way from Amazon but I just can't wait for it to get here to use the thing 😁. I think I'll just try to get a small pyramid going with the tumbleweeds and then add the rest around it. Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll just try to get a small pyramid going with the tumbleweeds and then add the rest around it.

That's what I'd do. Fill up the ring with charcoal and then build your pyramid on top of that. Once you get a good fire going, assemble the WSM and you're good to go. Just make sure you have a good fire going. I look for what I call the nuclear core - a nice core of fire in the pile. Once you have that, you have a minion start.

Please don't use charcoal lighter. It might not even taste bad once it burns off, but it just ain't right. :)

Just buy a chimney starter they aren't that much money. and they work really well for the smoker. I don't use a chimney starter with my small Weber "Go Anywhere" charcol grill, just plain old lighter fluid. But for the smoker all I use is the chimney starter. That way you dont mess around getting the coals lit. I definetly wouldn't use lighter fluid to light the coals in my smoker. Who knows if the fumes from it would fully burn off. It just doesn't seem meant to be started with lighter fluid. The chimney starter is what id reccommend. couldn't be easier to use either. just buy some lighter cubes and put them under a full chimney of charcol, light up about 2, and in 10-15 minutes your ready

Last edited:
I would recommend only buying the Weber Chimney Starter. If you buy it from Amazon, use the link to Amazon on the homepage so Chris gets credit for TVWB page. I had a off brand chimney starter previously and it rusted out pretty quickly.

Back