New to me Platypus - One-Touch Platinum

Steve Kirks

I snagged a 2010 (AD vent code) Platypus from FB yesterday in decent to nice condition. I cleaned it up enough to cook with it and it’s heating up now. This is the first kettle I’ve used in years. I bought a WSM back in 2006 and used gas after that. I’m curious to see how it performs. Next to it just out of the frame is an early Q300 that is our regular grill. That thing is amazing too, but a story for another time. Happy grilling!

image.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great grill,nice sized side tables, and I love the lid that swings straight back let's you see, and use more of the grill.
You should be in love with it in no time at all.
A good set of baskets and you are in heaven.

Here’s a shot from the first cook at about 3pm local time. I had about 8 hours of 250-300F cook time on about 75 briquettes. For low volume smoking sessions, this is just as good as my WSM but much easier for me to deal with during the cook. I do 2-4 pounds of chicken, pork and turkey every month to stock our freezer and it was a snap. I think I’m going to make a charcoal cone/vortex clone tomorrow then try that out.IMG_5184.jpeg

I think your is cleaner than mine was, when I got it. I am considering making new tables for mine, no decision yet.
I have a pile of redwood siding from our house that I might use for replacement tables. There are some spots that are iffy: rust around a bowl mounting point, spot rust on some of the shelf rungs on the bottom.

That is a great grill,nice sized side tables, and I love the lid that swings straight back let's you see, and use more of the grill.
You should be in love with it in no time at all.
A good set of baskets and you are in heaven.
I truly believe this is the best version of a 22.5” kettle to have. I’m not sure if the current Performer layout would be better than this.

I was considering mahogany for side tables but, I am rethinking that. I need to find out if my cabinetmaker buddy still has any of the same cypress we used for the Overperformer, having it match might be cool. Still in the pencil sketch stage.

Sometimes I am tempted to get one too. Love the lid going straight back as well. Like my folding table Performer a lot, but a Platypus could possibly replace it!

A brand new maroon one showed up on the local marketplace recently for around $100. It looked interesting, but I didn't pick it up, as it wasn't an improvement over the 2nd gen Performer that I already own.

I may be prejudice since I own one, but I think the Gen 2 Performer is the best looking of that series...

This is interesting as my original one touch platinum was really just the performer with no gas assist, just a kettle with table attached. About a year later a friend got the first run performer that had the gas assist. Then the platypus came out. Mine is OLD! Original lid was damaged in flat line wind and the company was not able to send an original style lid, they replaced (at full cost) a new regular kettle lid (with inside hook). Since it does fit and works quite well, I’ve learned to work with it.
if I could have found a maroon one for a hundred bucks I’d have snagged it in a heartbeat! When I get through with the new tables, I’ll post a picture!

I snagged a 2010 (AD vent code) Platypus from FB yesterday in decent to nice condition. I cleaned it up enough to cook with it and it’s heating up now. This is the first kettle I’ve used in years. I bought a WSM back in 2006 and used gas after that. I’m curious to see how it performs. Next to it just out of the frame is an early Q300 that is our regular grill. That thing is amazing too, but a story for another time. Happy grilling!

View attachment 73869
what a great find and design, wish Weber still made this

Hey everyone- I’ve had to put it up for sale on Facebook marketplace. I finally replaced my WSM and there’s not enough room for both. If you’re in Southwest Missouri, find it on Marketplace and pick it up

Back