New The Huntsman Kettle Kamado Grill from Spider coming.

Weber kettles are / or can be pretty with the selection of colors, however the downside is denting / chipping them as I have done. Then each time I look at it I got bothered. I remember sanding the chipped spot and using some high heat epoxy and brake paint to make it less noticeable. The Huntsman should not have an issue with that, a it looks way more industrial;-). The other is on long slow cooks with a deflector, adding coals is so much nicer with the side door, since you don't have remove the meat, grate, water / drip tray, diffuser, to add more fuel compared to other kettles and kamado's. It will be interesting to see if this thing rusts or holds up, and what kind of care it needs.

I see this Huntsman as being just a little like an offset. Same ease of adding fuel, just vertical instead of horizontal, but making adding fuel SO MUCH easier, as @Joe Anshien said.

With the industrial look (steam punk my millennial son would say), I think I would just expect to occasionally wipe down with some high heat Pam/Crisco and make sure the inside stays seasoned.

I see this Huntsman as being just a little like an offset. Same ease of adding fuel, just vertical instead of horizontal, but making adding fuel SO MUCH easier, as @Joe Anshien said.

With the industrial look (steam punk my millennial son would say), I think I would just expect to occasionally wipe down with some high heat Pam/Crisco and make sure the inside stays seasoned.
Although I am intrigued i cannot see the Kamado resemblance too much tbh. At the pricepoint its pitched against multiple grills across all fuel types. I hope they are successful however i think they have their work cut out to shift a lot of units. There is definitely a market for digitally controlled charcoal grills as Masterbuilt and Chargriller have proved with their vertical fed offerings.

If i am honest, i would take a punt on a Weber Searwood at similar price to tick the jack of all trades grill as opposed to this but i do as previously stated wish spider good luck. To launch a "different" charcoal grill in 2024 takes some balls so fair play!!

I’ll be honest, that thing will be discontinued within 5-7 years for slow/no sales
So interesting how we all react differently...I see it as a really great idea, better than my old Big Green Egg and to me better than any kettle or kamado if it lives up to it's billing. I know some prefer the purist, do it yourself temp management, but like @LMichaels I have learned to really like my pellet grills that have truthfully reduced my use of charcoal. Something like this, I think, would coax me to get back to some more charcoal grilling and barbecueing. That's just me. I want one!

It may be like the biblical parable of the "Pearl of Great Price" for me. How many other grills would I be willing to sell so that my wife wouldn't argue with me buying one of these?!!!

I hope Tom Horsman and some others get theirs soon so we can see real world reviews.

Although I am intrigued i cannot see the Kamado resemblance too much tbh. At the pricepoint its pitched against multiple grills across all fuel types. I hope they are successful however i think they have their work cut out to shift a lot of units. There is definitely a market for digitally controlled charcoal grills as Masterbuilt and Chargriller have proved with their vertical fed offerings.

If i am honest, i would take a punt on a Weber Searwood at similar price to tick the jack of all trades grill as opposed to this but i do as previously stated wish spider good luck. To launch a "different" charcoal grill in 2024 takes some balls so fair play!!
Paul, The big difference I see in this new idea compared to the gravity feed digital charcoal grills is the rugged, simple design. Those gravity feed grills seem to show a lot of distress in that charcoal feed chute. If I didn't have my Recteq RT-700 (plus a funky pellet kettle) I might not be so hot to trot for one of these. They are keepers. However, I can see trying to thin my charcoal grill herd to trade in for one of these.

Paul, The big difference I see in this new idea compared to the gravity feed digital charcoal grills is the rugged, simple design. Those gravity feed grills seem to show a lot of distress in that charcoal feed chute. If I didn't have my Recteq RT-700 (plus a funky pellet kettle) I might not be so hot to trot for one of these. They are keepers. However, I can see trying to thin my charcoal grill herd to trade in for one of these.
You are correct. I spent $100 over the winter on a Klote's mod for my gravity that consists of really thick stainless replacement panels in the burning chamber. I do expect them to last almost forever. The wood / charcoal mix I burn produces outstanding smoke flavor. My MB will be 2 years old this summer and is holding up great so far, but I could see this as a possible replacement down the road, especially as quite honestly my MB 800 is large for me at over double a kettle at 800 vs 363, and 363 was just fine for us. It is actually an effort for me to try to do at least 2 corned beefs or 2 chickens, or 1 large brisket because there is so much area inside, and using the same amount of charcoal and time, as there are only the 2 of us 90% of the time. I am very thankful to the vacuum sealer and the fact we like leftovers. If I did not get the Masterbuilt Gravity, I would have gone with a kettle + Viper.

I want some more pics / videos of the insides and taken apart especially the sweeper mechanism.
Yeah, Joe, when he mentioned the sweeper, I thought the same thing. I hope it is more ruggedly built than a Weber sweep. I also hope it can be replaced when needed without an engineering degree.

Still, I am very impressed so far. I noticed when he banked the charcoal. On a Weber kettle I avoid that because it can lead to porcelain pops and crazing. No worries with thick carbon steel!

Yeah, Joe, when he mentioned the sweeper, I thought the same thing. I hope it is more ruggedly built than a Weber sweep. I also hope it can be replaced when needed without an engineering degree.

Still, I am very impressed so far. I noticed when he banked the charcoal. On a Weber kettle I avoid that because it can lead to porcelain pops and crazing. No worries with thick carbon steel!
Same - I also did not notice any smoke leaking from any of the openings as it looks like it has really nice gaskets, but will need to see more cooks and reviews. All my other grills have leaked smoke even with new added gaskets, WSM, kettle, Masterbuilt. The only reason the leaks bother me is it eventually gums up and drips if not cleaned up. Rather keep it on the inside;-)

The more I see the more I like for sure. It's good marketing and they are completely unafraid to tie all of this to Weber, via either the Venom, the 22 inch size or comparing the vents. I have to think that is purposeful.
I have been cooking sans any type of temp monitoring device for many years, but the Venom does look very practical. Part of me would want to take a flier on this without the Venom, but that does not look like an option.
The intro price is as good as you will find. Time to look at some more videos! :cool:

The more I see the more I like for sure. It's good marketing and they are completely unafraid to tie all of this to Weber, via either the Venom, the 22 inch size or comparing the vents. I have to think that is purposeful.
I have been cooking sans any type of temp monitoring device for many years, but the Venom does look very practical. Part of me would want to take a flier on this without the Venom, but that does not look like an option.
The intro price is as good as you will find. Time to look at some more videos! :cool:
Richard,
In the second "salmon" video he mentions how you can regulate airflow without using the venom fan. So, if you were so inclined or had an issue with the electronics, you can still cook on this grill just like any other kettle or kamado.

Eric,
I guess the bottom line is that with the easy to access door opening, adding wood, charcoal or whatever is an easy enough thing to do. I like that part very much!

Richard,
In the second "salmon" video he mentions how you can regulate airflow without using the venom fan. So, if you were so inclined or had an issue with the electronics, you can still cook on this grill just like any other kettle or kamado.

Eric,
I guess the bottom line is that with the easy to access door opening, adding wood, charcoal or whatever is an easy enough thing to do. I like that part very much!
On the shoulder cook, no charcoal was needed for a 10+ hour cook and it looked like he probably used too much to begin with as well! Mileage may vary, I am sure, but that is a pretty good indicator of how efficient it is.

On the shoulder cook, no charcoal was needed for a 10+ hour cook and it looked like he probably used too much to begin with as well! Mileage may vary, I am sure, but that is a pretty good indicator of how efficient it is.
I think he said that he put 1/2 of a 16lb bag, so about 8lbs. Looks like around 1/3rd to 1/2 left. Quite nice as my MB800 uses quite a bit more;-)

A new video showing the Huntsman doing a slow cook of pork shoulder. Looks pretty impressive and with great looking results:

And this one just released showing smoking Salmon with some additional insights. Sure looks good to me!

Jon, maybe just a hunch but i think i see you in the “ i need one of these” phase, i could be wrong lol!! 😂

Back