New Owner: 4 weeks/4 smokes

Wes G

A buddy of mine who's a bge owner got me interested in smoking, of which I'd previously not done a day in my life. After researching what would fit my needs I decided on the WSM. I watched craigslist religiously for about a month and then found what I was looking for....an 18.5" WSM that was new in the box! I bought it for $150 because the guy won it in a raffle, lived in an apartment and couldn't use it. Lucky me! I did the notch mod as I'm a new Maverick et-732 owner as well (been happy with both).
9660722112_c026dcef4e_c.jpg

1st smoke: After checking out the great website www.tvwbb.com I decided on a half pork butt for my first smoke (Renowned Mr. Brown recipe on the website). Here in Tx, I wasn't super excited about pork bbq, but after the smoke... flavor, and taste I (and my wife) were hooked.
9660743832_877be381aa_c.jpg

2nd smoke: We liked the pork butt so much I decided to do a full pork butt the next weekend using the same rub. This was my first overnight smoke. The WSM maintained temps like a champ, and I got a good night's rest. Of course the butt was wonderful.
9660847576_92d6ef820d_c.jpg

Once the pork butt was done I threw on my first baby backs using the BRITU rub.
9660854500_7143c6638a_c.jpg

9660857542_d3323d596b_c.jpg

These turned out great as well, and I shared a bit with my sister-in-law who said "those were the best ribs I've EVER had. Ever." (Good job WSM and BRITU rub!).

3rd smoke: For my third weekend I wanted to try something with beef, but didn't want to take the chance of messing up a brisket. I tried some beef backs and while not my favorite, really enjoyed the beefy flavor. I used the Lone Star rub recipe on this site, minus the spritz. I moved the location of my WSM for this smoke, and I learned how much the wind really does effect the temps. I fought the temp. changes during this smoke and it solidified where I would place the WSM for future smokes (my yard is multi-level so I'd struggled with where to put it initially).
9660860988_5c51600f9f_c.jpg

9657632215_4bb23883d7_c.jpg

4th smoke: Labor Day weekend I smoked my first brisket using the Midnight Brisket rub. My main issue with this cook was determining the best location for the probe (point vs. flat). I probed it where the point meats the flat (a mistake?), and when my temp hit 195 I checked other areas of the brisket. In the flat it showed 185 so I left it on another hour. I pulled and rested the brisket. When slicing it I could tell the flat was really overcooked. I still enjoyed watching my wife, who is not a beef eater, eat some of the fat and even the dry flat, and claim it was the best beef she'd ever had. The point was so moist and tender. My 2 & 4 yr. olds got in on the taste test too. Even as dry as the flat was it still had a dang good flavor. I went ahead and chopped the flat with the point to even out the dryness since the point was so moist.
9657636037_e72752fb57_c.jpg

9660878476_692c8778ac_c.jpg

9657650625_b2b407e0af_c.jpg

For a novice in this realm I was so pleased to find the great resource these forums and the website are. As a new WSM owner I wanted to share my first month experiences. I've learned that the 18.5" is plenty big for me and my family (of 4). I didn't season mine initially, just smoked straight out of the box with Kingsford BB. I was glad that I had read about the notch mod and oil-drip pan on these forums. Both were the right choice for me. My bge buddy has gained an appreciation for the WSM as well. This will be my longest post, so thanks for reading!

Very impressive!... on the Craigs list score AND four very well executed cooks! Looks like you're a natural at smokin' !! :wsm:

Awesome job Wes, you're hooked now for sure. Ive had mine for over a year and I still have yet to get brave enough to try a brisket

mmmmm :D . Looks tasty.

FWIW, don't bother with the probe for ribs. It's ok for unit temps but just do the "pull test" at the 3 1/2 - 4 hr mark for doneness.

ok, this is how it is w/ all of us.

new smoker to do list.

1) get bigger pants. myself I like elastic. you will thank me later.

2) stock up on charcoal.

3) get a freezer so when you go to Costco you can freeze extra meats.

4) start enjoying the fun ride of trying out different rubs. I really liked this part.

5) do you have a favorite beer? if you do buy stocks in it because sitting out by the WSM you will drink a little more (see, the elastic pants are looking good bout now huh). I bought 25 shares into fat tire.

enjoy buddy.

Wes, all I can say is....WOW! You sir have been a busy man! And scoring 4 successes out of 4 attempts is great! I'm STILL trying to work up the nerve to try a brisket....

Wes, all I can say is....WOW! You sir have been a busy man! And scoring 4 successes out of 4 attempts is great! I'm STILL trying to work up the nerve to try a brisket....

Busy, yes. Told the wife tonight I'll have withdrawals this weekend not smoking something. Feel like with the wsm, temp probes, and this forum you'll have everything going for ya.

We've been eating on the brisket a lot this week. Brisket on a home made roll, brisket burritos, and then one of my personal favorites...brisket topped baked potato.
9681585271_f1091579d3_c.jpg

Back