New Kingsford Sucks!

Doug, the text of the blub you linked to states:

The folks at Kingsford Charcoal continue to secure themselves as leaders in the area of BBQ ingenuity with their new Matchlight Sure Fire Gooves charcoal.

That probably says it all. I wonder, though, if the Matchlight in the blurb is Strange New Products' nomenclature or Kingsford's. A quick glance at Kingsford's site doesn't show the new coals.

Rita

I suppose it is also possible that "Billy Bob Plant Worker" may have been asleep at the switch one day and some of the new Matchlight with 'surefire grooves' got put in a regular kingsford bag. It's not like stuff like that never happens.

I bought 100 pounds or so at Sam's Club 2 weeks ago and it appears to be the same old kingsford. And yes the bags (48 pound packs) do say lights faster and burns longer, but I also believe this has always been there.

Originally posted by Jim Minion:
The new product comes in 41# dual packs and is different than the old product.
Jim

Could you enlighten us a little more Jim?

'Fer instance, if we avoid the 41# dual pack, will we get the old product? Has Kingsford changed their formula across the board? What's going on?????

Thanks for your input,

JimT

I think the big question is... can we still get the old stuff like usual. And is the new stuff listed as "sure groove" or "matchlite" or something like that to top us all off? I'm still living off of a big load I bought in the summer... starting to get concerned...

Here is a responce to an e-mail on New forumla Kingsford, this was not an e-mail to me.

Kingsford's response to email...
Reference Number: 4318127
Dear Mr. ,
Thank you for contacting us about Kingsford Regular Charcoal. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.
We are coming out with a new formula, however, the Kingsford Original will still be the same. The Kingsford Original will still be available.
Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Brandon Goodman
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services

I think those that use Kingsford my be happy to hear this news.
Jim

I stumped. If there is no "new" Kingsford on the market, how come multiple people are having the same experiance? We're not talking about first time Q'rs having these problems.

I'm just not buying Kingsford hasn't changed.

Jon, I don't doubt you had a strange occurence as described in your original post, but I do think that, in multiple threads across the various online forums, that people are not all on the same page about what version of Kingsford is being discussed. Heck, we're not even really sure yet if the "Kingsford Match Light with Sure Fire Grooves" is a product with solvent in it or Kingsford just extending the Match Light trademark to a briquet just physically redesigned to ignite faster. I still think if your bag merely says "Lights Faster, Burns Longer", and the briquets don't appear to have the new grooves, something else was afoot.

Can anyone who has actually seen the "41 pound twin-packs" verify it's a solvent-free product, and does it or does it not say "Match Light" on it?

Edit: I have searched a bit more and found that there are indeed both regular and Match Light versions now available with the grooves, and the bags pictured do not say "Lights Faster, Burns Longer".

Edit: I have searched a bit more and found that there are indeed both regular and Match Light versions now available with the grooves, and the bags pictured do not say "Lights Faster, Burns Longer".
Where did you find this info?

Kingsford sucks?
icon_rolleyes.gif
Yeah buddie, i've been telling you this for years. Anything that emitts blue smoke is not good.
icon_eek.gif
Lump, Lump Baby.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Kingsford sucks?
icon_rolleyes.gif
Yeah buddie, i've been telling you this for years. Anything that emitts blue smoke is not good.
icon_eek.gif
Lump, Lump Baby.
icon_biggrin.gif
What took you so long lol. I thought you would be ALL over this one.
icon_wink.gif

Yeah the old Kingsford sucks it only won us over 70 awards and got us invited to five world championships. What was I thinking
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Konrad Haskins: the old Kingsford ...

The bottom line for me is whether or not the "old Kingsford" is still available. Kingsford's e-mail seems to indicate the "original" is still beng produced. Given my hording of kingsford from super sales, it will be some time before I can make that determination on my own, so I look forward to what will be posted by others.

I personally haven't had any serious, on going issues with the original product. Keep in mind, things can happen which might affect a particular bag or bags and therefore several cooks. Such as a store leaving a pallet on a loading dock to get wet or damp. That is very frustrating but it has to do with the seller, distributor but not the manufacturer.

Paul

Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
Yeah the old Kingsford sucks it only won us over 70 awards and got us invited to five world championships. What was I thinking
icon_wink.gif
I'm glad you like it. I do not.
icon_wink.gif

I've cooked chicken thighs, brisket, and butts on the "new" stuff - and had no problems.

Minion method worked just fine for me.

I know that it was the "new" stuff due to the two GROOVES down the back of the briquettes.

I, too, like the briquettes - because I know what I am going to get every time.

I certainly have not won 70 awards nor been invited to five world championships - but the stuff works just fine for us.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
I'm glad you like it. I do not.
icon_wink.gif

That's what's great about BBQ and America we can each do our own thing. There are many ways to cook great BBQ. The difference between good and bad BBQ is the taste of the end product, not technique or equipment.

If I was not a tightwad I'd buy B&B lump by the pallet from Texas. If my wife gets me the ceramic cooker on my Birthday wish list I'll be looking for good lump in Washington state. As I don't think any briquette is a good idea in a recirculating ceramic cooker. The only one bad experience I've had with Kingsford was using the minion method at extreme altitude.

If the "Kingsford Clissic" is still available I will be more than willing to keep a supply of old and new on hand. Dont forget about running your good ole kettle, quick hot burns for steak is priceless. Perhaps it will function well in an un-modified Platinum Smokey Joe? Classic for the smoker and New Kingsford for the grill. Charcoal that starts faster just may help to slow down this gas grill illness that is sweeping the country.

As we were treking through Kroger earlier tonight, I noticed all the Kingsford "regular" style they had on display were in the new, smaller, "sure fire" goove labeled packages. Seems like it was 18lb bags with wording that it cooks the same as the 20lb bag on it.

Did not buy any, but it is all they had. Every bag (regular, mesquite, match-light, etc...) was the new sure fire groove style in my local store.

Also the bag has a new design and is very easy to identify and should not be confused with the "original" Kingsford with no groves. It has the "Sure Fire Grooves" wording all over it in nice big letters.

Back