New Guy from Kansas

Travis Rose

I just purchased a 14 WSM this weekend. I had my heart set on a bigger one, but I found a 14 on Craigslist for $100 brand new in the box. I couldn't pass on the $$$ savings, so now I have extra money to purchase some other BBQ gear. I would like to start with something simple and easy to measure temp. Any recommendations? I look forward to learning a lot from this site and eating some good homemade Q.

Congrats on the craiglist find and welcome to the forum Travis. I did my first smoke on some spare ribs and they turned out pretty good

Welcome to the forum Travis. I second all that Jim Lampe said. He knows what he is talking about. This is a great place to learn and to share. This is the best Q site on the web. Enjoy.

Welcome to the forum Travis. I did some chicken cooks to get started. Chris has some excellent articles on the home page under cooking topics for beginner recipes. That's a great place to start.

Hi Travis. Welcome to the forum! Everyone here has been super helpful, and you'll find some great resources, advice and tips/techniques.

My very first cook was bacon and Jimmy Dean sausage. I did this to season the grill (search Google for Harry Soo's WSM seasoning technique). My second and third cooks were two different chickens.

I used sausage and chickens because they are a lot cheaper to experiment with than ribs or a quality pork butt. My first three cooks had some ups and downs, but I learned a lot about how the WSM temperature control works, etc. The biggest thing I am learning is to be patient and have fun with the process!

You can find some great beginner recipes here http://virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#beginner

Back