New guy all over again

John Bridgman

TVWBB Super Fan
OK, so I've been hanging around here since 2007 learning about cooking with charcoal and how to smoke with a Performer, but finally broke down and bought a WSM. Spent a while trying to figure out whether to get an 18" or 22" but in the end I went into the store, looked at the two models side by side, decided the 22" "looked too big" (highly unscientific
icon_wink.gif
) and came home with an 18".

First cook went well. One thing I always wanted to try was the instructions you see associated with jerk cooking, basically direct heat but high enough above the coals that flare-ups don't reach the food. I had rubbed a bunch of chicken thighs with Walkerswood jerk paste this morning, putting most of it under the skin 'cause I realized I end up taking the skin off anyways. Started about 2/3 chimney of Kingsford on the Performer, dumped it into the WSM, no water pan, lower grate only, thighs skin down on the lower grate to start, then put the cover on to see what happened.

DSCN3187.jpg

Temps went up near 300F with two bottom vents open - closed all but 1/2 vent and temps stabilized nicely at 250F for a couple of hours.

Cooking was totally effortless, no worries about flare-ups whether the cover was on or off (I left it on most of the time anyways). Chicken turned out pretty good :

DSCN3189.jpg

Definitely the best chicken I've ever made, and I've tried almost the same cook multiple times before on the kettle. The Performer always wanted to run at 350-400F, while the WSM seems to naturally tend to 250-275F. Just what I wanted.

Other than the predictable questions that come from owning a Performer, eg "how do I move the WSM when it's hot ?", I have to say I'm really happy with this so far. I'm definitely going to have to make a table with wheels to get the WSM up a foot or two (I'm 6'5) and let me move it under cover if the rain starts pouring down mid-smoke. Something like :

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm?P12 or

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm?P29

... but with a WSM instead of a BGE. If only I could find an "Eat more Possum" sign. Sigh...

Chicken looks great. Its surprising how often I use my WSM for this type of cooking. Obviously after work I don't often have 4 hrs to slow cook something so doing chicken or even small roasts is great.

On a side note... I sure hope that isn't the terrible "Grace" brand rice and beans you have on the side... that stuff tastes like someone tipped a cup of salt into the bag! haha

happy smoking!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On a side note... I sure hope that isn't the terrible "Grace" brand rice and beans you have on the side... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but I learned the hard way too. Thanks for the warning.

This was a can of kidney beans, a can of coconut milk, a chopped onion, a bunch of chopped garlic, and 2 cups of rice. Tasty enough that I probably didn't need the chicken
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Bridgman:

Temps went up near 300F with two bottom vents open - closed all but 1/2 vent and temps stabilized nicely at 250F for a couple of hours.

Cooking was totally effortless, no worries about flare-ups whether the cover was on or off (I left it on most of the time anyways). ...

Definitely the best chicken I've ever made, and I've tried almost the same cook multiple times before on the kettle. The Performer always wanted to run at 350-400F, while the WSM seems to naturally tend to 250-275F. Just what I wanted.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, I just had a similar great result cooking chicken on the WSM , no water pan. I loved how it climbed straight up to the right temp and just stuck there.

Your jerk thighs look great - I bet they tasted fantastic!

John, I've got to try some jerk chicken. Actually, I still have some Walkerswood bbq sauce, but I know it's not the same as the jerk marinade.

As a tip, it doesn't look like it was an issue, but next time you might try using the top grate instead, and it'll be easier on your back as well when it comes to checking and flippin'. Most folks use the top grate as the primary one, cooking indirect with the pan, or directly over the coals, the thinking being that you'll get more evenly cooked meat. On the other hand though, if you're flipping and basting chicken pieces frequently, like grilling Roadside Chicken over lump, especially in windy conditions, I can see how cooking on the lower grate as you did would be better. Either way obviously works.

Going by you direct cooking temp, your cooker sounds like it's got great fit between the sections and door, and that's a real good thing when it comes to controlling temps, so congratulations on getting a good 'un.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As a tip, it doesn't look like it was an issue, but next time you might try using the top grate instead, and it'll be easier on your back as well when it comes to checking and flippin'. Most folks use the top grate as the primary one, cooking indirect with the pan, or directly over the coals, the thinking being that you'll get more evenly cooked meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advice. It was my first time using the smoker and for some reason I was thinking "how's the meat going to cook way up there ??". Will try top grate next.

Fortunately I had also picked up a pair of ~18" tongs so the lower grate didn't seem so far away
icon_wink.gif

I hear ya, and if the lid is off most of the time, you're completely right.

As long as you're not basting and flipping at a higher temp, the top grate is a little better, but if it's not windy, you'd be surprised at how the chicken can cook on the top grate, lid off over a hot grate of coals.

Back