NEW GENESIS VS NEW SUMMIT SIDE BY SIDE

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard

Our boy Trevor is back, and yes the grease pan in
the Summit is still crooked. :ROFLMAO:
Aside from that and his hatred of the side burner, he
is pretty much dead on with this review, in my opinion.
Any model Genesis does pack in lots of value and bang
for the buck. The Summit.... eh, not so much.

He was a little more on target this time. I do personally like the new Summit. Glad it has cast aluminum firebox as we have wished to see for years. I have to agree with him, though, that Weber has priced it into another whole category where it isn't a strong competitor. I foresee these losing a lot of value two years from now when they start showing up on the used market. I think Weber needs to invest in all-stainless cabinetry (and make Trevor happy with a better side burner!) if they want to go totally high-end.

The deluxe Genesis he compared that Summit to definitely offers more, dollar for dollar, even if it is still a lot of dollars!

I agree with you Jon. And Trevor makes a good point that even if you were in the $4k grill budget market, they are probably better alternatives. Aside from the overhead IR burner, I just don't see any reason to pay double the price.
I suppose that if you went all stainless, you would really have a true upgrade, but I don't know of Weber could do that without pushing the $5k range. Maybe they should though. Hell, bring back the Vieluxe. Oh well, I am not going to worry about it. BOth grills are way out of my ball park and even if I am still doing grills 5 or more years down the road when some of these start hitting the sale sites, I likely won't have a need or interest.
I am sooo glad however that Weber went with the full aluminum cook box.

Much better job of reviewing this time too. I think he decided to leave the Budweiser in the fridge until he was done with the review.

I look at that Summit, and I have to say it pushes all the right buttons IMO. Then I see the price?! Who are they trying to fool? Sorry. There ain't $4K worth of good there. No way. But, IMO that "base" Summit is what a Genesis SHOULD be. Then you would have IMO something actually worthy of the name "Genesis". Because it really would be a new beginning, or a change from the same ol' same ol' of the "me too" front control Genesis of today. Which breaks no new ground. Really has no innovation (unlike) what the true Genesis was

I will keep my eyes open for the well off, early adopters who sell off their new Summits in a couple years after their grill gets dirty or another new thing cones along!

I think my local Ace might carry the new summit. They had the older models on closeout. I need to stop by and see what they have. Last time it was more floor space for Traegers and BGE than webers.

I think my local Ace might carry the new summit. They had the older models on closeout. I need to stop by and see what they have. Last time it was more floor space for Traegers and BGE than webers.
Our Ace Hardware had one on display about 3 weeks ago. They usually keep a decent amount of floor space for Weber, but it definitely has been shrinking.

1000003556.jpg
1000003557.jpg

I have been in the market for a premium gas grill to replace my 16 year old genesis and to compliment my charcoal grill and WSM. The only thing that the Summit seems to offer is the top down infrared burner. I have been toying with a Lynx Sedona or even a Napoleon Prestige Pro 665. I had been hoping to stay in the Weber family, but I am getting concerned it's time to look elsewhere.

Interestingly, the new Genesis have a lot in common with the discontinued Summits. That might be the best value play right now.

My local hardware store had a new summit on display, and I thought it really looked nice. I also feel the new Genesis live seems VERY solid. The lid is quite heavy and everything has a nice feel and look to it. I'm not on the market, but if I had the cash and was, I'm sure I'd find something in Weber lineup to put on my deck. I'm hopeful they gain the same praise of the classic webers after a few years in the market to prove themselves

What did you think if it on up close inspection?
I didn't have much time to look at it, but it is solidly built. But I feel the same way about the new Genesis grills, too. I thought the overhead infrared burner was shorter than I thought it would be, but maybe it's just right for what it's supposed to do. Not sure.

1000003558.jpg

Although I'd love to have one, there isn't a chance I'd spend around $4K for one. I think a nice Genesis for a third of the price would suit me just fine.

Curious to see this as well. I’m having my backyard done this summer and outdoor kitchen added to accommodate a Big Green Egg and a gas grill for quicker cooks. Had initially been excited about the new Summit, but worried, that while the cookbox is cast aluminum, if the cabinet is rust prone it may not be a good choice. Might be leaning towards just a high end gas insert grill that’s all 304 stainless. I’m just unfamiliar on what brands are worth buying for something long term. Building this island around whatever I get so want something to last…..open to any thoughts.

Depends how much you want to invest. Honestly I think they're all over priced (some worse than others). But I'd look for brands like Crown Verity, Wolf, Viking, Lynx, Bull. All are high end full 304SS grills most made in USA

Thanks. Appreciate that. I’m ok spending a bit as this is part of an overall backyard remodel and I want to do it right for the long term.

Here's 2 Summits. Newer model is $4K, Last years ,model is $3350. Although, they had it outside and marked down to $3k a few weeks back.1000010252.jpg1000010251.jpg1000010250.jpg

I really like the new Summit overall. I think it is a big improvement over the last model that I personally have never liked due to it being so bloated and problem-prone. I have to agree, though, that it may be uphill for Weber trying sell this new one at the asking price.

I think they really need to look at adding a "Platinum" option and make the cabinetry all from stainless if they want to compete better in this price range. A personal idea would be to add a few exclusive color choices besides stainless and black (which I do like). Having some more special colors I think would help Weber stand out from the sea of bland all-stainless grills in the upper end that all look too much alike.

Honestly I like a lot about the new one. But $4k?! SERIOUSLY $4k? Who are they trying to kid? I have seen this one https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-stainless-steel-6-burner-gas-grill.product.4000098457.html in person. Touched, looked in depth. Pulled off the grids, really dug into it. Every bit of it is 304SS too BTW. I would REALLY love to know where the extra $3100 is on the Weber. Because that Kirkland one is a really darn fine piece. With all the same features and then some.
Well a side burner sure isn't worth $3100.

Back