New Cookbox was "Repairing holes in Summit Cook Box"

Adding on to this older thread. I had the same recent experience w/ Weber as Mark, for my S-670. They declined my warranty request initially, I pushed back and sent a copy of the warranty page in my original manual (purchased the unit in 2011, well before Weber changed the warranty to 10 years on most all parts). The "porcelan enameled shroud" bit is hard to argue, considering the general definition of "shroud."

They also sent a new infrared burner shroud (bump in the back covering the IR burner), because the newer cook boxes use a smaller one w/ only two holes. I used the old shroud by just drilling two holes near the bottom.

I had to make some hardware store visits for screws/clips/nuts... Some were destroyed due to corrosion during removal. I had to cut off the nuts on the IR shroud. There are some easy-nut clips that need to be removed from the old box and applied to the new cook box. They hold on the manifold/valve assembly bolts.

Once the unit is apart for cook box install, you can spend timing scrubbing and cleaning the pieces before reassembly. The result is pretty impressive.

Weber Customer Service is second to none
You can say that again.....just called today to see if they had the steel flange available that the lid on my 2004 Summit D6 sits on. It was starting to rust in place where it sat over some of the burners. Sales person checked and said it was part of the cookbox but that they would be shipping me a whole new cookbox since it had a lifetime warranty on it!! No wonder Weber enthusiasts are so die hard:). For any of you that have receied a new cookbox I'm just wondering what comes with it? Do the burner tubes, electronic ignition, etc.? I had just ordered burner tubes, ignition assembly, and grates from other outlets, so not sure what I may end up sending back for credit until I know what's coming with the cookbox.

I wouldn't expect to get anything but the cookbox and any associated hardware, but if you do let us know

I wouldn't expect to get anything but the cookbox and any associated hardware, but if you do let us know
You are correct....it arrived today and is just the box. Started taking apart my old pit to install the new cookbox. Had a devil of a time getting the pins out of the lid hinge with some years of rust/corrosion and broke one of the cotter pins. It's probably a good idea to replace those anyway, so will head down to my local hardware store to get a couple. The only thing I haven't yet been able to disconnect is the "Thermocouple" copper wire nut so that I can remove that little infrared igniter box. It seems to have a nut on the outside of the box as well as on the inside and it's a pretty tight space on the inside to try to loosen that nut.

Is your D6 a platinum? I was told that the cook box for the D6 Platinum was out of stock and discontinued.

Is your D6 a platinum? I was told that the cook box for the D6 Platinum was out of stock and discontinued.
No, it's a Gold....not sure what the difference is. Have not been able to remove the rotisserie motor bracket from my old cookbox due to the screws being corroded and the bolt head is thin and flat so you have nothing to grip the head with in order to get the nut off the inside portion of the bolt. May have to get a new one although I have rarely used the rotisserie in the past 19 years.

You are correct....it arrived today and is just the box. Started taking apart my old pit to install the new cookbox. Had a devil of a time getting the pins out of the lid hinge with some years of rust/corrosion and broke one of the cotter pins. It's probably a good idea to replace those anyway, so will head down to my local hardware store to get a couple. The only thing I haven't yet been able to disconnect is the "Thermocouple" copper wire nut so that I can remove that little infrared igniter box. It seems to have a nut on the outside of the box as well as on the inside and it's a pretty tight space on the inside to try to loosen that nut.
You got me thinking.

Not that it really matters, but a car manufacturer doesn't simply Fed-ex you a new transmission when yours fails under warranty.

Not everyone has the mechanical aptitude to replace the entire cookbox in a grill with a new one.

You got me thinking.

Not that it really matters, but a car manufacturer doesn't simply Fed-ex you a new transmission when yours fails under warranty.

Not everyone has the mechanical aptitude to replace the entire cookbox in a grill with a new one.
This is true and those summit cook boxes look a little more complicated than the old Genesis grills. It doesn't get much easier than one nut and bolt and two pins for the lid.

This is true and those summit cook boxes look a little more complicated than the old Genesis grills. It doesn't get much easier than one nut and bolt and two pins for the lid.
It's true....it's all the extra add-ons such as the IR burner, rotisserie bracket, etc. that seems to give the most trouble. Of course I also replaced my igniter kit(had been using my kitchen propane torch to light my burners for probably the last 5+ years, LOL), burner tubes, and flavorizer bars so yeah it's been quite a little project! My smoker box is all rusted out and it's currently close to $400 to replace that old model, so I'll just get one of the aftermarket smoke boxes to put on top of the flavorizer bars I suppose. I also have an Amazn-smoker-pellet tube that works pretty well. May try to get one of the smoker replacement kits that someone on Ebay is offering which includes a small grate and one flavorizer bar to take the place of the smoker box and give you a bit more cooking surface area if I can find the right size for my model year.

Rotisserie burners (IR burners in general) are pretty darn reliable.
Yeah, sorry for not being clearer.....when I said those add-ons give the most trouble was only referring to the process of removing them from one cook box and transferring to another one. Only slight issue I have sometimes with the IR burner is that it takes a bit of effort to keep it lit. Sorry, Bruce, I don't have Facebook so I can't see the item:).

I guess it is made form the Genesis 1-5/1000-5000 grills, but might still work on the summit. Just a little shorter maybe.

2023-07-31_171811.jpg

No, it's a Gold....not sure what the difference is. Have not been able to remove the rotisserie motor bracket from my old cookbox due to the screws being corroded and the bolt head is thin and flat so you have nothing to grip the head with in order to get the nut off the inside portion of the bolt. May have to get a new one although I have rarely used the rotisserie in the past 19 years.
Does the Gold have a smoker box and burner?

Bill, isn't the difference in those summit cook boxes the amount of burners (4 or 6) and whether there is a sear burner or not? I'm not a Summit expert by any means, but that was the impression I had.

Yes, and yes. Has 6 burners plus smoker box burner as well as a side burner to the right of the cookbox and an IR burner on the back side of the cookbox. Doesn't have a sear burner unless that's what the side burner is supposed to be.

Yes, and yes. Has 6 burners plus smoker box burner as well as a side burner to the right of the cookbox and an IR burner on the back side of the cookbox. Doesn't have a sear burner unless that's what the side burner is supposed to be.
I used the wrong term, it's a smoker box burner on those, not a sear burner. I guess @Bill Pudim is trying to figure out how you got a new box and Weber told him they weren't available anymore, if it's the same configuration.

I used the wrong term, it's a smoker box burner on those, not a sear burner. I guess @Bill Pudim is trying to figure out how you got a new box and Weber told him they weren't available anymore, if it's the same configuration.
Aahhh, ok. Yes, on my model I believe the smoker box tube burner produces fewer BTU's than the other tubes, and it looked like the holes were positioned on the right side of the tube rather than the top like the other regular tubes. If the size and everything else is the same, I don't see why the Gold version couldn't fit unless the sear option is a must.

Back