New Cajun Bandit Door not fitting properly

David DeGeorge

I just received my new Cajun Bandit Door and was pretty excited. When I put the door on my 22 WSM the top does not seal properly. I expected it to fit right out of the box. The sides are a good fit but the top corners touch leaving a large gap at the top.

My question is did anyone else who purchased the CBD door had to adjust it before using it?

Thanks,
David

The one I received didn't fit and they said it was rolled incorrectly. The replacement door fit but needed to be slighly bent to stop a leak. I'm happy with it. But nobody seems to talk about these not being a fit at first.

I got my door last friday and with just a little bending that door sits up tight and doesn't leak a wisp of smoke!! I found when tweaking the door to just do a little at a time and keep mounting it in place and then tweaking where it isn't settin flush. I tried tweaking my Weber door in one try and that didn't work to well!!

Ordered one a while back and it fit my 22 like a glove. Doesn't seem like it would be easy to adjust.

Cajun bandit door

I just received my new Cajun Bandit Door and was pretty excited. When I put the door on my 22 WSM the top does not seal properly. I expected it to fit right out of the box. The sides are a good fit but the top corners touch leaving a large gap at the top.

My question is did anyone else who purchased the CBD door had to adjust it before using it?

Thanks,
David

I had to do a little massaging on mine. I also fitted mine with a better latch. I broke the Weber latch. The insert came out, so I just went all new with a latch I found online for less than 5 dollars. I don't understand why they can't sell a latch with the door?

I The insert came out, so I just went all new with a latch I found on line for less than 5 dollars.
Roger,
Do you have a link to the replacement latch? I had the same issue and got a replacement latch from Weber but I still don't trust the design.

I have replaced all my WSM's including two that I sold with Cajun Bandit doors and most every one of them fit securely right out of the box. The only tweaking I had to do to any of them was likely my own fault in replacing the new style door handles of the 22".

I had to do a little massaging on mine. I also fitted mine with a better latch. I broke the Weber latch. The insert came out, so I just went all new with a latch I found online for less than 5 dollars. I don't understand why they can't sell a latch with the door?

Roger: Do you have a link to the latch assembly you bought, or any other information such as manufacturer, part number, etc.?

Thanks!

I bought one a couple of years ago. Liked the fit but did not like the way the Weber door latch fit on it. The hole was too big for one thing. Used a couple of cooks. I just set in the shed. This is for an 18" BTW. Have come close the last week to sell to someone on here. If there is a replacement handle someone lead me in the right direction.

Last edited:
I bought one a couple of years ago. Liked the fit but did not like the way the Weber door latch fit on it. The hole was too big for one thing. Used a couple of cooks. I just set in the shed. Have come close the last week to sell to someone on here. If there is a replacement handle someone lead me in the right direction.

I wonder if they have changed things on the fit. The hole on mine is a snug fit for the handle and not too big at all. The latch assembly fit right in with no issues or slipping around. The door also fit right on without any massaging needed and is a great fit. I just got mine at Christmas time as a gift.

I wonder if they have changed things on the fit. The hole on mine is a snug fit for the handle and not too big at all. The latch assembly fit right in with no issues or slipping around. The door also fit right on without any massaging needed and is a great fit. I just got mine at Christmas time as a gift.

I just got my CB door and it is 1/4 inch gap on the left top and the right top touches the WSM22 but when the latch is closed there is a 1/8 gap between the latch and the top right corner, you can see light through it.

Mine had gaps too that no amount of massaging could correct.
I just lined the inside of the door with nomex gasket. Super tight seal now.

I got one top corner to fit great the other has a gap you can push a folder over dollar bill into but maybe continued use will seal it

just got my CB door for my 22 and it needs a little bending. also got the gasket kit - anyone put the gasket on the inside of the door instead of the outside of the smoker body?

just got my CB door for my 22 and it needs a little bending. also got the gasket kit - anyone put the gasket on the inside of the door instead of the outside of the smoker body?

I noticed last weekend for the first time that my 18.5 leaks pretty good! I also have the CB door. Did you get the gasket kit for the entire smoker, or just the door? I've been thinking about getting the gasket kit for the entire smoker...

Hmm, I just got my door today. I hope it fits correctly as I don't feel like I should have to tweak it.

How are you guys bending it? It seems kind of stiff.

Hmm, I just got my door today. I hope it fits correctly as I don't feel like I should have to tweak it.

How are you guys bending it? It seems kind of stiff.

I'm not sure if the issue is that several of us have out of round middle sections, or if there's something wrong with the mold they're using for the CB doors. All I know is that my original weber door didn't fit flush, in the exact same way that the cajun bandit door doesn't sit flush. The folks that sell the CB door even sent me a second one, which as I suspected, was a carbon copy of the first one. In my opinion the CB door is not bendable..it's too stiff/solid and if you need tools to make the thing fit, something is wrong is my thought. I'm all ears if anyone's figured this out. I WAS able to bend the weber door to fit considerably better and have been using that, using the CB door to set my bag of charcoal on so the ground doesn't get it wet...it works well for that.

Back