Need some opinions on a WSM rehab

Jeff M.

TVWBB Member
Hi guys, found an old 18.5 WSM on craigslist for $40 so I bought it. It's an EO date code so it's a 1995 model. Brought it home and it's got some problems. Smaller problems that I think I have a handle on first:

The middle section was out of round so it was actually difficult to separate the middle and lower sections. I rolled it around on the ground a little feeling for the uneven spots and think it's pretty good now. The door is pretty bent up. See pictures and let me know if you think it can be bent back into shape or if I should just get a new one. One of the lower vents fell off and will need to be replaced. The others are kinda bent up so I figure I'll just replace all 3 and be done with it. The original top handle was wood and it's almost disintegrated and will need to be replaced. I actually have an unused Weber handle that I can put on there so that works out well. And then there's the grill straps, the metal pieces that hold the grates and water pan in place, They're rusted and will need to be replaced.

Larger problems that I need input on:

There's a small hole in the lower bowl. Maybe dime sized. I guess it just rusted through, I don't know. It doesn't look particularly rusty in that area. I couldn't get a good picture of that area. You can't see it in the pictures I took. The holes in the bottom of the pictures are just the open vents. So what do I do with this hole? Leave it alone? is there some kind of patch I should put on it?

Second problem is the lower screws that hold the legs in place are in bad shape. These screws are also what the charcoal grate sits on. It almost looks like someone took an angle grinder and tried to cut them off and then couldn't get them off and gave up. They're holding for now but I feel like they're going to need replacement eventually. Because they've been ground on it's not as easy as unscrewing them, I think they'll have to be cut off. Anyone ever done that?

2gx1g9f.jpg

2i9jybp.jpg

1z512lz.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Well Jeff, first of all, welcome to the forum (i musta missed your intro)!
your first problem, the access door: you could call WEBER CUSTOMER SERVICE and ask for a replacement, they may send you one free.
Same with the grate straps...
these parts you will NOT find at the WEBER website.
The hole in the bottom can be plugged using stainless steel fender washers with SS nuts and bolts. SS hardware is available at a quality local hardware store..
and finally, the leg bolts you guessed right...
gently cut them off if possible OR try twisting them off in the opposite direction then replace with stainless steel hardware.
Hope this helps... good luck!

Cajun Bandit sells a SS door for the wsms. You can patch the hole with liquid weld they use to repair mufflers (find at an auto parts store). You can either use a hacksaw on the screws or a dremel cutting wheel. Could be that the angle grinder they were trying to use was to big to get in there properly. hope this helps!

Depending on where the hole is on the bottom you can add another vent using that hole where appropriate.

For a quick fix on the hole you can use HVAC foil tape or just leave it as is as adjust the other vents as necessary.

Door just needs to be bent a little more to shape it.

John

Thanks for the input guys. Anyone see a need to repaint the inside of the lower bowl? Most of the porcelain enamel is worn off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone see a need to repaint the inside of the lower bowl? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
no.

Good catch! Like Jim said call Weber. About the water pan just foil it and it will look like new
icon_smile.gif

From the photos, it looks like the previous owner didn't use a cover to keep the WSM out of the elements. That hole might have been a drain that they drilled to remove water?
Its probably a good idea to seal it up with whatever, just to keep any hot ashes or embers falling out, esp if you set up on a wooden deck.

Tim

If you're anywhere near the Greensboro, NC area I'll give you a new lower bowl for free. Weber sent me a replacement when I bought my WSM because the porcelain was chipped, but it's completely unused and would solve your hole and vent problems in one fell swoop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
If you're anywhere near the Greensboro, NC area I'll give you a new lower bowl for free. Weber sent me a replacement when I bought my WSM because the porcelain was chipped, but it's completely unused and would solve your hole and vent problems in one fell swoop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow Larry, thanks for that offer! I'm in Texas unfortunately
icon_frown.gif
Any chance you could ship it to me if I paid you the cost of shipping and packaging it?

I'll be glad to ship it to you. It may take a while to find a suitable box, plus I'm tied up with work for the next 3-4 days. But if you want it, I can send it by UPS by the end of next week. Email me at (nea1svi11e AT yahoo DOT com)* with your address if you're interested.

I have no idea what it will cost to send something bulky but light...

*replace the number 1's with lower-case L's

Back