Need some advise on some chicken I smoked today.

Bob-- For checking internal temps of foods I use a Super-fast Thermapen. I also have their plug-mount unit with a few different types of probes for specialty applications. It's hard to beat the response time of a Thermapen.

For signigicantly less $ though, I recommend the thermistor therm from Comark.

Tel-tru makes great bimetal therms for general use, for candy, for fridges and freezers, and I have several. (I am not a fan of mounting therms permanently in grills so none are.) I don't use bimetal therms for determining whether a cooked item is safe (the potential for inaccuracy is too high) nor done (too slow).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That is one thing that really gets to me on this issue. When it comes to claims and research from the likes of the Humane society or PETA, I just don't trust them because I know they have ulterior motives. Same thing with groups like the Meat council, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And even with the Fed.

Years ago--many--FSIS pushed to reduce the top end of the danger zone to the more accurate 130F. Many states whined and the FDA caved. Eventually a compromise of 135 was reached--and this is reflected in the Food Code. (Many states have yet to adopt the 2001 Code, let alone the 2005--politics again--but this is another issue.)

Not that the compromise is reflected on the various consumer portions of the various players' websites. No, still 140. One assumes that they assume that consumers are too stupid or unaware--and perhaps they are considering the lack of accurate info profferred regarding temping, its importance, how-to, what types of therms to use in which situations and which not. The Fed still allows the little pic of the bimetal therm on hamburger packages because it would be 'too expensive' to change it.

Back