Need Help with Gas Line Connection.

Is that a 3/8 hose for the old BBQ? How long is the pipe for the BBQ connection. The reason I'm asking is the 420 has a high btuh rating and you may not get enough gas from a 3/8 or 1/2 in supply pipe depending on the length of the pipe from the main line. I had to change mine from 1/2" to 5/8" for my 55,000 btu Vermont Casting.

If you still have the old BBQ you may be able to put the hose from it on the Weber it's probably a 3/8 flare fitting.

I would turn off the gas supply value, remove the old female connector and install the new one. Of coarse you will probably need an adapter or two as I would assume the new one has a larger pipe thread than the older one.

Then try the grill if it gets hot enough, it's a go. If not then you will need a larger feed pipe installed. Maybe you can do that or just call a plumber.

I would guess Weber sized the hose, etc. to handle the largest possible demand (all burners on and all on high).

Thanks guys! Ugg I don't want to spend more money than I already have LOL I've made over 10 phone calls. Nobody can help. Left VM with gas company.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find a bridge between the two? Lowes didn't have anything. Maybe a hardware store?

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find a bridge between the two? Lowes didn't have anything. Maybe a hardware store?

I just bought a new Genesis, and I was disappointed that the line I had installed was not the same size as the input hose on the gas. This delayed my entry into NG grill enjoyment until after a trip to the hardware store.

I went to a True Value hardware store with the connectors in my hand. The connector to the grill is a quick connect/disconnect, so the end part comes off. The gas line from the house had a cap on the end. It also has a ball valve right there. The cap is just a cosmetic thing. The ball valve controls the NG flow, so taking the cap with me didn't mean I was leaking gas out of the house for an hour.

So at True value I had the cap which has the correct size of the male fitting from the house and the female connector from the grill. They set me up with a 2 piece transition, since the size transition is female: female on both sides, which means you need a small piece of pipe threaded on both ends to make the transition complete. THis piece is called a nipple. No joke.

It cost me under $10, including the special yellow tape dope for gas lines. Definitely use the special yellow tape dope for gas lines.

Definitely go to a smaller/mid size hardware store, especially one that sells Weber grills, since they'll know what you are talking about. The guys at the big box stores don't know as much as the guys at the smaller store.

You can't get an adapter that will fit the old quick connect to the new quick connect as far as I know. The new brass part in the picture looks like it should be on the supply pipe. If the supply pipe is to small for that adapter you can get a reducing coupling and a 1/2 inch nipple and take the old quick connect off your supply line . There should be a manual shut off valve on the supply line to isolate it. I was thinking backwards in my first post. Can you take a pic of the outside part of the supply with the old connector on it? If your changing it yourself make sure to use a thread sealer for NG. DO NOT use regular Teflon tape.

Here is a picture of the supply line.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ls73oda4nze9zi8/4.jpg

I spent a few hours calling around different plumbing supply companies in my local area, they all said they couldn't help me. I finally called the natural gas company to see if they could help.

Yes, there is a shut off value. I have already turned it off. If I can change the connection at the supply line to 1/2 that would be great. I would rather find a bridge from the 3/8th hose to the the 1/2 quick connect

So get yourself a 3/8-1/2 coupling. Remove the old quick connect put new thread sealer on and screw the coupling on. You will also need a short nipple the same size as your new quick connect.

Bob I really appreciate your help. I am an idiot when it comes to stuff like this. I tried to turn the current quick connect off of the gas source and it won't move AT ALL. I don't want to mess up the current configuration. With that being said could I just get a 3/8 quick connect to 1/2 and then rock and roll?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdhplscwjvt602t/5.jpg

Attached is a better picture

If I didn't know better I would swear that is a bulk propane setup looking at that regulator and such

If I didn't know better I would swear that is a bulk propane setup looking at that regulator and such

I agree! Never seen a NG connection like that before.
Michael do know where the other end of that pipe is? You need to make sure that's not going to an LP suppy somewhere or just dead ends where a tank once was and verify it is an NG supply.

Last edited:
I have lived in the house for 10 years. It's NG trust me. My old grill died, I just upgraded to a new one. I have a dude coming over tomorrow to fix it. I will keep you updated. =]

I'd stick to the manufactures supplied pieces. Your house may have originally been propane and when it was converted they just left that reg there. Propane is supplied at a higher pressure to appliances than natural gas or you could have pounds gas supply in the house. There are areas where they used to have 2 pounds gas supply and then reduce it to 1/4 lb at the appliances but it's not that common. The "ground" wire is known as a bonding wire in the gas business. You should be able to spin that connector off with a little more muscle, use 2 wrenches one to hold the nipple and the other to spin off the quick connect. The quick connect should have flat spots to get an adjustable wrench on it and your spinning it off counter clockwise. The nipple you'll need a pipe wrench and put it on as if you were tightening the opposite direction as the quick connect. " If at first you don't succeed use a bigger wrench". With the right tools and fittings it's a 5 minute job to get you fixed up.

Back