Need another high temp meat/dish

Jason H.

TVWBB Member
Hello,

Next month I am going to be trying out the herb crusted prime rib (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast1.html) in one 18" WSM while the other is doing butts for pulled pork. However, I hate not having something on the lower grate of the 18" doing the prime rib. As the prime rib recipe starts out at 450 and then ramps down to 350 not sure what to put on that lower grate. Definitely don't want to put ribs or butts on there at that high of a temp. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I like to add some bakers down there esp when doing a PR, let the drippings baste them with some of that love.
Or do a meat-loaf. You could slice that for lunch sammies during the week.

Tim

I like to add some bakers down there esp when doing a PR, let the drippings baste them with some of that love.
Or do a meat-loaf. You could slice that for lunch sammies during the week.

Tim

Whats a baker? Meatloaf is a good idea!

Although since that post it has changed slightly. One of my friends who is coming that day found out about the prime rib and wants me to make him one as well. From people with experience, will I be able to fit 2 6-7lb standing rib roasts on the top rack of my 18" wsm?

Here's a switch - cook the prime rib at low temps (220° to 240°) until the center gets to 120°. Then sear the outside on a kettle or gas grill. This is a method that came from an Alton Brown cook book and when I use it, I get very juicy roasts (not just prime rib) with even cooking and a nicely caramelized exterior.

I don't recall the times, but it will be much less than the 5 hours required for ribs.

Back