Need Advice - Smoking Two Pork Butts - WSM

Trail B.

TVWBB Member
I am smoking two butts (pulled pork) that I need ready for dinner on Saturday. They are 10 and 11 pounds. I don't want to do an overnight. Any tips on how to have them ready by 530 on Saturday? If I start them at 6 am and cook them at 275-300 will they be ready in time? Also, how hard will it be to keep the 22.5 WSM at 275-300?

If you want those ready Saturday 5:30PM, you better start them at 2AM and that's calling it close (real close) you might not get a rest period and you really want your butts to rest (minimum 1 hour)

If you want those ready Saturday 5:30PM, you better start them at 2AM and that's calling it close (real close) you might not get a rest period and you really want your butts to rest (minimum 1 hour)

I will have to agree with Chuck on the start time and may even want to start a little earlier to give you some wiggle room

Even if I am smoking at 300*? You still think I need to start that early? In the past I have smoked an 8 pound pork butt in about 6 -7 hours at 300*. Will it take that much longer to smoke two ten pounders?

I think 12 hours will prob do it at 300 degrees..... the earlier you can start the better. foil and put them in cooler and they will stay hot for 3-4 hours easy

better safe then sorry

Even if I am smoking at 300*? You still think I need to start that early? In the past I have smoked an 8 pound pork butt in about 6 -7 hours at 300*. Will it take that much longer to smoke two ten pounders?
It's pretty hard to say, butts are done when they're done. The good thing about butts, if they are done too soon, they love a good rest (wrapped in foil and then in a towel or two)

It is far better to have a butt "overly" rested vs one that didn't get a rest. Many people rest butts for a minimum of 3 hours and it pays dividends. SO your choice is: Start at 2AM and be pretty sure you'll be done on time with an OK rest, or start as late at 5AM and chance:

1) Not being done on time
2) Not getting a good rest

Is there a particular reason you don't want to do an overnight smoke?

No good reason, but mainly because of sleep and it is supposed to be raining. I have a lot to do on Saturday and cannot afford to get sleep. I don't have confidence in my ability to do an overnight smoke without being up a lot at night.

No good reason, but mainly because of sleep and it is supposed to be raining. I have a lot to do on Saturday and cannot afford to get sleep. I don't have confidence in my ability to do an overnight smoke without being up a lot at night.

Here's a method to cook butts and greatly reduce the time needed. Using this method, you could probably get away with not starting until as late as 7AM or 8

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?51784-Smoked-and-Braised-Pulled-Pork

I've done this cook, it really came out well

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52135-A-Mike-Coffman-inspired-cook

If you have a full load of charcoal and do a minion method start then there shouldn't be much reason why you couldn't go to sleep for at least five hours once the smoker is settled in. I do it all the time with no worries or ATC.

Back