Need advice: Internal temps plateauing

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
I'm about 15 hours into my cook (two butts) and the internal temps are plateauing around 170*. I just added 10 more briqs and opened the side door and blew on coals a bit about 30 mins ago but my lid temps are staying 175-190*. I'm not strapped for time, the guests won't start arriving for another 3 hours or so, but should I pull the butts now or see if the temps start to rise again?

I'd pull them and put them in a pre-heated oven .. 250-260º. No sense in fighting with your smoker when time is short. You need to get your internal temps to 190 (195º is better) and have some rest time before pulling. 3 hours is cutting it close.

HTH

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
agreed. later ya need to find out why the temp dropped. 15 hrs is to much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The temp probably dropped because the fuel was spent .. 15 or 16 hours is about all you'll get. But, I disagree on 15 hours being too much. Mine always take at least that long. I just took 4 butts off at 20 hours .. Internal temp ~ 197º.

We're cool, Clark
icon_cool.gif
Same page.

Bill

I haven't cooked butts for a year or so, had a freezer full, but mine always seem to take 17-19 hours @ ~225.

Once you cross the plateau the rise should continue quickly (2-3 more hours). Sounds like you might be able to try some chopped pork along w/ your shredded! Someone was just posting about that I think yesterday.

I'm sure it'll turn out well with the guys around here helping you out.

If I have a long cook like that, I add about 30-40 briquets at hour 12-13 so that hour 16 temp drop never happens.

I check at about the 13-14 hour mark to see if its getting down there on the charcoal. I will usually add about 20-30 briq's when it gets low, unlit, and have never had a problem.

When I first started Q'in the plateau would freak me out...
icon_eek.gif
Now I know its just part of the game...
icon_smile.gif

Back