Need a Replacement Door for a Wood Handled WSM

Jeff Persson

TVWBB Member
I picked up an older wood handled WSM today from a local pawn shop for $40 out the door. It's in pretty good shape and had all the parts for it except the mid-section door. As you can see in the second picture there is no date code on the top vent, so I'm trying to determine what version/era of WSM this is and what the correct replacement door would be.

IMG_1218_zps0omzdrin.jpg

IMG_1219_zpsmqqcrqgr.jpg

IMG_1220_zpsgkx9g1vr.jpg

Last edited:
As you can see in the second picture there is no date code on the top vent, so I'm trying to determine what version/era of WSM this is and what the correct replacement door would be
You might just have a pre-production model. You vent has no humps / raised ridges. It's hard to say if you can get a door for it, measure the opening and reply back with it's size. That's a gem you got, congrats

http://virtualweberbullet.com/wsmage.html#nocode

zoellner1-1024.jpg

I measured across the opening in a straight line and it's 6 5/8". I measured just above the opening from edge to edge to take in the curve and that looks to be right at 7".

Jeff,
My 18 is a DA (2001) and the door width is the same as yours.
Straight line top to bottom is 10"
I'm pretty sure the door opening size was never changed.

Neat find!! Original Weber door or Cajun Bandit door, but because of it's age, I would opt for a Weber door if it were me. Have to see the "finished" pictures after you get a door.

IT also looks fromthe pictures like you might need a water bowl, coal grate, and fire ring.

Check the fit with your 07 WSM door, it should be the same. My 08 WSM top vent looks just like yours, with no ridges or date code. Did you check the bottom vents?

Tim

This looks like a great find!

Once you get the parts to get it back to new you will have a vintage wsm. Very neat collectors item.

Check the fit with your 07 WSM door, it should be the same. My 08 WSM top vent looks just like yours, with no ridges or date code. Did you check the bottom vents?

Tim

I have to update my signature I actually hooked up a friend new to BBQ with my 07 a few months ago.

Last edited:
So I called Weber Customer Support and told them I had a pre-production WSM and needed a replacement door. They told me the door was discontinued and the replacement was 63018 which is the newer door. If you look out on Cajun Bandit they have two doors for 18.5 WSMs (pre- and post-2000). Based on what Weber customer service is saying I assume the door is the same fit and function and the reason CB offers two is because of how the latch mount has changed. Does this sound right?

All in all I still think I'm going to try and find an original door before buying a newer one with the longer handle.

Somebody who switched to a CB door has to have a spare laying around??
Maybe post this on the Trading Post.

Tim

I posted it in the Buy/Sell section. If all else fails I can order the newer door and buy the components for the old latch. It looks like ereplacementparts carries them.

A big thanks to Chris Allingham for hooking me up with a pristine original door for my 18. I'm hoping to get the clean up of it started next weekend, and this is the only thing I needed to make it complete.

IMG_1286_zpsdtuz5kzw.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, Jeff, glad I remembered to pick through my parts pile to find that door for you. Not sure why I had it, but glad I did!

Best,
Chris

Back