My WSM Mini Build

You found stainless rain gutter guard at Home Depot? I think my local store only had galvanized.

Jim brought up a valid point about your charcoal basket, I was at Home Dumpo today and looked at thier gutter guards and all I saw was galvanized.
Here is something you may want to read. Just make sure that metal ring is stainless and not galvanized. I would hate to see you get sick, better safe than sorry.

Cooking With Galvanized Steel
Heating a galvanized metal surface releases zinc fumes. These fumes accumulate in the food but are also toxic to breathe. For this reason, utensils with galvanized surfaces should not be used in food cooking. This includes using galvanized-surfaced buckets or cans for cooking, as well as any ladles or stirrers. Some larger buckets or cans are available in stainless steel, which is safe for cooking.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8620608_dangers-cooking-galvanized-steel.html#ixzz2h4OWz3T2

Last edited:
Jim brought up a valid point about your charcoal basket, I was at Home Dumpo today and looked at thier gutter guards and all I saw was galvanized.
Here is something you may want to read. Just make sure that metal ring is stainless and not galvanized. I would hate to see you get sick, better safe than sorry.

Cooking With Galvanized Steel
Heating a galvanized metal surface releases zinc fumes. These fumes accumulate in the food but are also toxic to breathe. For this reason, utensils with galvanized surfaces should not be used in food cooking. This includes using galvanized-surfaced buckets or cans for cooking, as well as any ladles or stirrers. Some larger buckets or cans are available in stainless steel, which is safe for cooking.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_8620608_dangers-cooking-galvanized-steel.html#ixzz2h4OWz3T2

Well I have done a lot of research on the galvanized issue and even with the facts couldn't find a definite answer. If you want to start a heated debate just bring up the subject with grillers and BBQ'ers. It's like talking about religion or politics. The main issue for fumes and sickness is direct contact with the food or from zinc oxide. On the first subject, I would never use galvanized where there is contact with any food. Secondly, zinc oxide occurs when zinc vapors mix with air. In order for the zinc to vaporize, you would need a temperature of around 1600 degrees Fahrenheit. The max temp for a piece of charcoal is around 1200 degrees F. Better safe than sorry, so since it's pretty cheap and easy to change, I will look for an alternative for my charcoal basket. Any suggestions? If you do use galvanized in your cooker, I would recommend inspecting it often for any melting or white residue. If you see any, replace it immediately. Thanks for bringing it up Rich.

Back