My Take on the Mini WSM

any reccomendations on cooking with the mini? I built one a couple months ago, and I have the toughest time getting the temp above 150.
I have cut the bottom out of my pot, I have used the SJ silver, so I added the ash can mod to allow the airflow to not get clogged.
I have tried every way imaginable with the coals, lately ive been trying leaving the middle of the fire open to allow more flow of air but that hasnt helped much.
in order to keep the temp above 100, I have to have the bottom and top damper all the way open or the temp drops way down.
anyone?

Maybe you could post a pic of your charcoal set up.

Mine will hit 350+ with the vents wide open.

How many lit coals are you starting with?

Is the airflow restricted somehow at you deflector?

All I can think of now.

Great looking WSM build!
I like the sturdy lock of the cake pan. I've used a cake pan on mine, but after 3 uses, my cake pan is already rusting on the inside. Or at least it looks like rust, and now I'm apprehensive about using it again to smoke my food. I wonder how your cake pan is holding up. Perhaps I need to use a different brand...

Hey Rick-
Can you tell me the measurements of the remaining bottom of the pot after you cut your hole for the cake pan? I'm trying to determine if a stainless steel L bracket will work. Thanks!

Hey Rick-
Can you tell me the measurements of the remaining bottom of the pot after you cut your hole for the cake pan? I'm trying to determine if a stainless steel L bracket will work. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay.

Mine has about a 2" lip left after cutting the hole.

It all depends on how big your cake pan is but I see no problem with using L brackets.

Back