My smoked ham loaf and ABT's

dean

TVWBB Pro
100_0498.jpg

Some tasty looking stuff Dean! I do smoked bologna kind of like that. I score it on top, slather it with a mustard/soy sauce mixture and then pack it down with brown sugar.

Yep, same method as smoked baloney.. That's where I got the idea from. The baloney I like (Boars head brand) is expensive. I tried this ham loaf one time and never looked back. I have not found a baloney at a decent price that I liked so Ive stuck with this ham loaf. Only 10 bucks for 5 pounds. Easy, and always yummy! Score it, cheap yellow mustard slather, whatever rub I have on hand, and topped with brown sugar...

Dean,

Where are you from, that you can get chopped ham like that? I've never seen it outside of Pittsburgh, and I'd love to get some for sandwiches.

Hey Sean whatup?.. In Michigan, I get that at Sav-A-Lot grocery stores. Not to pick on just one segment of people, but look for it at places were lower income folks shop. Them are the only places I have seen it. I love it cause it is easy, always turns out cause it is already cooked. After smoking the loaf, I also grill the slices for like 30 seconds by throwing the grate right on the charcoal ring...

Wow dean, the ham loaf and ABT's look fantastic.

I would love to dig into a few ham sammiches from that loaf right about now!
icon_smile.gif

I let it smoke about 3 or 4 hours at around 300 degrees. There is no right or wrong cause you dont have to worry about over or under cooking, you just gotta heat it up.. I have never had it to smokey tasting either, so if you make it use 3 or 4 large chunks of wood.
I just made me a samich out of it right now at midnight
icon_biggrin.gif
, (I work 2nd shift)... Ham slice with cheddar onion bread toasted w butter and that was all I put on it! I think it is better than baloney and a lot cheaper at 10 bucks for a 5 pound loaf..

Back