My new rig

Looks great. Samples! I see great records in your future. Maybe even your own bbq brand.
Just breaking the cooker in. Wait until you hit your stride.

So a little progress. Y'all haven't seen the cabinet yet and we put in a table with stainless top and mounted a small tool cabinet underneath. Also got the glove/paper towel holder up and another panel along with the TV. That whole wall will be paneled when we are done. Going to be cooking this weekend in Ingleside TX. My first CBA. It benefits children with cancer so even if I tank it it's a great cause. And yes, that's an aperol spritz on the counter because we are bougie like that!IMG20231018182335.jpgIMG20231018182337.jpg

Looking good. A combination food, vacation central. The more comfortable you make it, the easier it will be to rack up bbq trophies.
I like the tool chest idea. AC, water/sink, a couple of camp recliners, ....

I assume that giant, hot, heavy, beautiful cooker, just tucks itself in when ready? And is very secure when traveling. And the weight is is the right spot overall for trailering. And the floor is...
Of course you did. Just checking. My back hurts thinking about getting that horse back into the trailer.
Is it too soon/uncool to build a trophy rack/case?
Send food samples to 222 iamhungry@tvwbb.nomnomnom

Tony- it's actually not as bad to load as you would think. It rolls pretty nice. Myself and one friendly competitor can get it in no problem.

So I did my first CBA today and really liked the quicker pace compared to IBCA. Turn ins every hour instead of 1.5 hours. It was a benefit for children with cancer and I believe they raised almost 23k.

No walks for me but somehow ended up tenth overall out of fifty teams. Was able to do burnt ends today which is not allowed in ibca. Had a great time. Here is a brisket shot for the photo hounds. Cheers y'all. IMG20231021060314.jpgIMG20231021135438.jpg

Last edited:
Great job, Gary !!!
Remember the whys of CBA's creation. Some procedures somewhat like another KC based sanctioning body.

Looking great, I just checked the CBA page and it's amazing how many competitions are available to you and it's mostly pretty local for you.
I see it on T.V. and hear about it around here and stuff but honestly I had no idea how much of a big deal it is.
I don't think such thing exists where I live......I find this an okay option of course but 24 hours south its a different story.

Good looking pics, looks like something I have seen before.....it's so neat and tidy. I would have a lot to learn, presentation is not a priority at my house at all........just for tastes.

Tony- it's actually not as bad to load as you would think. It rolls pretty nice. Myself and one friendly competitor can get it in no problem.

So I did my first CBA today and really liked the quicker pace compared to IBCA. Turn ins every hour instead of 1.5 hours. It was a benefit for children with cancer and I believe they raised almost 23k.

No walks for me but somehow ended up tenth overall out of fifty teams. Was able to do burnt ends today which is not allowed in ibca. Had a great time. Here is a brisket shot for the photo hounds. Cheers y'all. View attachment 80937View attachment 80938
Did you come up with a name for your team yet?
I was looking back to October 20th, didn't see anything you mentioned.
I see a team called Drunken Sloth got an overall 10th place........

Did you come up with a name for your team yet?
I was looking back to October 20th, didn't see anything you mentioned.
I see a team called Drunken Sloth got an overall 10th place........
Good detective work Darryl. Yes, for now I am the drunken Sloth. It's a nickname my wife gave me many years ago. Between being sloth-like on the weekends and all the homebrewing, I guess I earned it.

I'm disappointed in that we had two ibca events lined up for this month and both got cancelled. They were pretty local to me so that would have been nice. So I might be doing one next month and then for sure in January. There is 30k up for grabs in Uvalde next month.....🤔

Good detective work Darryl. Yes, for now I am the drunken Sloth. It's a nickname my wife gave me many years ago. Between being sloth-like on the weekends and all the homebrewing, I guess I earned it.
That's funny right there. My wife has bouts where the middle joint of the middle finger of her left hand gets swollen and painful and I tell her (quite gleefully, I might add) that it's from all the years of her flipping me the bird.

I'm disappointed in that we had two ibca events lined up for this month and both got cancelled. They were pretty local to me so that would have been nice. So I might be doing one next month and then for sure in January. There is 30k up for grabs in Uvalde next month.....🤔
Right!
Isn't the Uvalde competition one of the more larger comps in CBA?
I believe this is one of the comps that gets televised on the Food Network, and at 30K you want to believe that all the big boys will be there.
Also Michael Symon would be the host again I would presume.......not that I am a huge fanboi of his or anything, he just presents the show pretty good and he isn't really hard to watch.

I would imagine it is a good experience in the way that you get to see all the big boys going at it...big team names ect.
On the other hand it would also be great to have a bit less competition at some point I would think and try to get a win or two under the old belt.

Let us know, these comps are interesting to me and I would like to check out all of the comps you get yourself into.....pics of the food never hurt either.
I get it's a comp and the hustle, so if you can of course.
The comp's with the kid's mini comp I have seen on TV and see a few on the up coming events........I love this part of it, especially when the young ones are really into it. They will be que'ing better than most of us by the time they turn into teens.....o_O

Right!
Isn't the Uvalde competition one of the more larger comps in CBA?
I believe this is one of the comps that gets televised on the Food Network, and at 30K you want to believe that all the big boys will be there.
Also Michael Symon would be the host again I would presume.......not that I am a huge fanboi of his or anything, he just presents the show pretty good and he isn't really hard to watch.

I would imagine it is a good experience in the way that you get to see all the big boys going at it...big team names ect.
On the other hand it would also be great to have a bit less competition at some point I would think and try to get a win or two under the old belt.

Let us know, these comps are interesting to me and I would like to check out all of the comps you get yourself into.....pics of the food never hurt either.
I get it's a comp and the hustle, so if you can of course.
The comp's with the kid's mini comp I have seen on TV and see a few on the up coming events........I love this part of it, especially when the young ones are really into it. They will be que'ing better than most of us by the time they turn into teens.....o_O
Yes, Uvalde is a big one. All the BMF's in Texas and beyond will be there. There is another one the same weekend in a different direction toward Houston. Both have pork categories and I haven't cooked a comp pork butt since my CA KCBS days about four years ago. Many teams just cook pork collars now but I don't see myself doing that. No matter what I decide I will take you guys along for the ride.

The kids que's are cool. A lot of comps are doing them and we all cheer nice a loud for the kids. I don't have any Rugrats myself(it's how I afford a Jambo) but it always brings a smile to my face seeing the young ones beginning their journey.

Back