My new rig

GaryP

TVWBB Pro
A few years ago I was bitten by the comp bbq bug. I competed a little with my father in law when I still lived in CA and loved every minute. Now being in Texas and without my old teammate, I'm going for it. I've decided it's my mid-life crisis, and my wife is super supportive. Last year I ordered a new pit that should be ready anytime, and last month I bought a trailer to haul it around in. So I figured I'd start a thread and post as I get little bits done. Here you will see the trailer, the floor we installed and last weekend, the mini split. Next up is lighting, finishing all the walls and counters. Hopefully I'll have time to take it out in a couple weeks in Cuero for a comp. Thanks for looking. IMG20230501134440.jpgIMG20230529142913.jpgIMG20230625164551.jpgIMG20230702183738.jpg

Good luck, I can't wait to see what you do next.............sounds like a really good time.
That little unit that makes the air cool will probably be one of your best choices, looks like a good set up and a a good time.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I'll keep this thread updated as I move along. I'm very lucky to be able to be doing this and I can't wait to get it built out.

I would say that you are lucky too....I would feel lucky, start up doesn't seem cheap especially by today's standards in what everything costs.
What cooker(s) were you planning on using, was it you that has the Franklin????

Pretty amazing! Makes you realize what an all-in investment it is to enter these comps-incredible! God luck and look forward to following,

I would say that you are lucky too....I would feel lucky, start up doesn't seem cheap especially by today's standards in what everything costs.
What cooker(s) were you planning on using, was it you that has the Franklin????
No Lynn and Dustin have the franklins. I currently have a backyard Jambo and will be getting an enclosed soon.

I have definitely gone off the deep end money-wise. I started with an 18 and 22 wsm and an ez-up. I think it's like most things, you can go just as crazy as your bank account will allow.

Sounds great!
When I get the rare chance to see comps in action I see a lot of high end smokers.....makes me think of an ole hickory......
I do see drums and stuff on occasion but I think reliability is going to be your best friend.
Keep us posted!!

Darryl.... It's not so much the pit as the pitmaster! Drums are very competitive. Many a pitmaster has made the invited list at the American Royal.

Cool. It sounds like a nice way to spend an occasional weekend to me. Gives you something to do , reasons to travel, etc. Much $ spent is to make it more convenient for you.

I wouldn't do it myself without a trailer ....and RV. I mean at least not regularly. Who wants to sleep in a lawn chair?

Back