My new 2015 Crimson Performer Deluxe

One of my gripes on these newer Performers is the location of the temperature guage. I do alot of indirect on mine, and I wouldn't want the temp probe over the coals. Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

One of my gripes on these newer Performers is the location of the temperature guage. I do alot of indirect on mine, and I wouldn't want the temp probe over the coals. Am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Can't you just rotate the lid to put the thermo where you want it? The lid just slides into the bale, so no worries about having to get the lid hook onto the kettle rim or anything like that.

-Tom in SoCal

Hey Tom, let me clarify. When I cook indirect, I always have the exhaust vent over the food, and the blank side over the coals. If I were to do that with this style lid, the temp gauge would be over the coals since it's across from the vent on the lid. I feel like temperature reading would be off because of this.

Wow! I normally don't get aroused by a new grill, but that is definitely a looker! I think it would take me awhile to light er up, it's so Purdy!

She looks pretty. If my S-330 ever dies, I think I'll go back to charcoal for grilling...

Hey Tom, let me clarify. When I cook indirect, I always have the exhaust vent over the food, and the blank side over the coals. If I were to do that with this style lid, the temp gauge would be over the coals since it's across from the vent on the lid. I feel like temperature reading would be off because of this.

I understand the logic, but I'm not all that sure that the temp at a spot on the grill is affected by vent location... although I know that many share your view.

If I had a dome thermo in my ancient kettle it would be a fun experiement to run...

In either event, I suspect you would get aclimated to the new temp location very quickly.

I understand the logic, but I'm not all that sure that the temp at a spot on the grill is affected by vent location... although I know that many share your view.

If I had a dome thermo in my ancient kettle it would be a fun experiement to run...

In either event, I suspect you would get aclimated to the new temp location very quickly.

If someone has an infrared thermometer, they can probably temp the lid with it closed and get a pretty good idea. I've got one but it's borrowed at the moment.

That's really good looking. Almost makes me think about replacing mine. I really like the way the crimson looks with the darker table.

Back