My Jack Daniel's & Maple Syrup Brined Turkey w/Pics

Hey Chris_B, For three gallons of brine I'd probably double the recipe. I usually end-up using 1.5 gallons of water to submurge my birds and I do exactly as the recipe calls for. Any more water/salt I'd add more "flavor."

Speaking of this recipe, I have a 14.5 lb bird brining as I type, she's been under for 32 hours. At 36 hours I'll be removing and air drying overnight. She's going to go over cherry wood tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a good day
icon_biggrin.gif
I'll try and take some pictures since last time I did this bird I was a bit brined myself lol.

Got another bone in breast on the WSM now that was brined overnight. Mmm, good! Gonna serve with grilled asparagus and lemon vinaigrette and some red potatoes braised in butter with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and thyme. A nice Thanksgiving warmup. I'll try to remember take/post pics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Speaking of this recipe, I have a 14.5 lb bird brining as I type, she's been under for 32 hours. At 36 hours I'll be removing and air drying overnight. She's going to go over cherry wood tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a good day
icon_biggrin.gif
I'll try and take some pictures since last time I did this bird I was a bit brined myself lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTF @ the I was brined myself comment!! Thank you for the laugh!

I was reading on the butter ball site that for a 12lb or less turkey that 6-8 is what is needed. Is there any advantage of doing this longer or shorter? I have used the apple brine from the site here and it seemed to work pretty good. Vince

Can't believe nobody's tried this yet this year. I might try this weekend, if I can find time to get the brine going Friday night. All you newbies: give it a shot - it's good stuff!

Yea Jim, I'm always amazed this recipe doesn't get more traction. I wonder if people think the Jack will overpower the bird. Which as you know it doesn't, nothing but goodness
icon_wink.gif

Now if you at my Jack Daniels yams, that's another story.

Well in search of a brine for my first smoked turkey, I've settled on this one!

I have a 13.8 lb butterball in the freezer with the 8% solution.

I plan on cutting the salt down to 1/3 a cup per another discussion I read about you using an enhanced bird.

Recipe:
2 C Pure Maple Syrup
1 C JD
1 T pickling spice
1/3 C Morton Kosher salt per Gallon of water (make enough to submerge the bird)

I will be icing down the breasts like you said, for 30 minutes. Do you just apply the rub right before you put it on, so after icing the breasts?

I like to mix my own rubs. Any recommended recipes for this JD Brined Bird?

Can't wait for the gravy either! I will be catching those drippings!

Thanks for the recipe!

Cheers!
Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will be icing down the breasts like you said, for 30 minutes. Do you just apply the rub right before you put it on, so after icing the breasts?

I like to mix my own rubs. Any recommended recipes for this JD Brined Bird? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I apply salt, pepper and garlic powder right before she goes on. Actually I brush w/Olive Oil and then season. Be sure to toss some in the cavity prior to tossing in the celery, carrot etc. I find it makes a difference, or at least I've convinced myself it does.

I ice the breasts (I love writing that
icon_wink.gif
) closer to 45 min.

Good luck, it's a kick a$$ brine; I've done it side by side with others and it's ALWAYS gone first.

Oh, and the gravy, it's like nectar from the gods. I imagine it's like what Megan Fox's kids will experience when breast feeding. I think last year someone actually nominated me "gravy god." Do have to admit it was exceptional. I think the stock I made (with instruction from guys on here) really made the difference.

Larry- I love the Megan fox reference, cracked me up!

I'm 100% using this recipe for the pseudo thanksgiving I'm hosting this Sunday. And I'm being "that guy" by asking these questions on the night I'm supposed to be putting the turkey in the brine. doh!

So....

1- Your rub. You say "butter and season". What do you mean by this? Sorry it's a dumb question, but how does one "butter"? And what is your seasoning...just salt, pepper and garlic powder? I was thinking I'd do an actual "rub". Thoughts?

2- "Season cavity". What do you mean by this...just saying to put the items you mention (carrots, celery, lemon, etc" in the cavity? What affect does this have? Do you do anything to close the cavity? What about apple slices?

3- I noticed you and others have your turkeys on roasting pans, elevated on racks. Is this necessary...can I just put directly on grate? If you recommend the rack and pan, what should I look for at the store?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really like the sound of your baste/recipe and want to do it right.

Thanks!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim L.:
1- Your rub. You say "butter and season". What do you mean by this? Sorry it's a dumb question, but how does one "butter"? And what is your seasoning...just salt, pepper and garlic powder? I was thinking I'd do an actual "rub". Thoughts?

2- "Season cavity". What do you mean by this...just saying to put the items you mention (carrots, celery, lemon, etc" in the cavity? What affect does this have? Do you do anything to close the cavity? What about apple slices?

3- I noticed you and others have your turkeys on roasting pans, elevated on racks. Is this necessary...can I just put directly on grate? If you recommend the rack and pan, what should I look for at the store? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
1- I no longer "butter" I use Olive Oil, however, when I did I'd use softened butter and rub it on and under the skin, then season.

2- I throw salt, pepper and garlic salt in the cavity. In my head it does make a difference. I usually put a lemon in the cavity last and that "plugs" up the cavity. I also find pricking the lemon with a knife or fork brings out the citrus aroma.

3- You can absolutely put on the WSM rack. I use roasting pans so I can catch the goodness for gravy.

Hope you like the recipe!

You're the man Larry. thanks for the quick response.

Just went out and bought 2 13.5lb fresh, natural, birds.

-what's the layer of olive oil do? Just for helping the rub to stick, or does it crisp the skin? Another dumb one, but...how do you put the oil and seasoning under the skin? (I've never done this before...obviously). Do you pull the skin off, breaking the "bond", then simply lay it back on? I'm thinking of using that rub Jeff calls out above once I oil.

-with two birds, on pans, it seems like there will be a lot in between the heat source and the top bird (there will be a pan, a bird, another pan...), is that an issue? Have you tried two at once?

Thanks! Sorry for so many questions but Sunday is my "Pseudo-Thanksgiving" so it's the big dinner of the year.

Thanks!!!!!

Not as important to me in terms of what I'm doing, but I'm curious....

Chris asked you what you'd do to the quantities based on his plan to use 3 gallons of water.

Why would someone use 3 gallons of water when they could do what you do and use 1.5? Isn't the only requirement to cover the bird?

Thanks!

Tim,

Hope I'm not too late. The olive oil helps both in helping the rub to stick, and crisping the skin. Butter does the same, but with different flavor and a heckuva a lot more fat.
icon_smile.gif
You are essentially breaking the "bond" by rubbing under the skin. Some folks will then use toothpicks to keep it in place during the cook. It's easy, just slide your fingers in between the skin and the meat.

Regarding two birds, I'm not certain, since I haven't done it myself. But I'd guess it might be worthwhile to rotate them once during the cook. Hopefully others can chime in with more experience based advice.

On the 3 gallons, vs. 1.5 - it's all about covering the entire turkey. If you need that much, you need that much. One thing you can do to figure out how much you need is put the turkey in your brining container, then fill it with water. Take the turkey out and see how much water was actually in there. That's how much brine you'll need.

Good luck with your cook this weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I will be icing down the breasts like you said, for 30 minutes. Do you just apply the rub right before you put it on, so after icing the breasts?

I like to mix my own rubs. Any recommended recipes for this JD Brined Bird? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I apply salt, pepper and garlic powder right before she goes on. Actually I brush w/Olive Oil and then season. Be sure to toss some in the cavity prior to tossing in the celery, carrot etc. I find it makes a difference, or at least I've convinced myself it does.

I ice the breasts (I love writing that
icon_wink.gif
) closer to 45 min.

Good luck, it's a kick a$$ brine; I've done it side by side with others and it's ALWAYS gone first.

Oh, and the gravy, it's like nectar from the gods. I imagine it's like what Megan Fox's kids will experience when breast feeding. I think last year someone actually nominated me "gravy god." Do have to admit it was exceptional. I think the stock I made (with instruction from guys on here) really made the difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Larry! I thought I saw 30 minutes somewhere, my bad.

Can you shed some light on the gravy? I'm really not a gravy person but maybe that's because I've never had any good stuff! I have exhausted the search feature on this website and I'm not able to locate it (if it's posted). If you have the recipe handy I would appreciate it!

Cheers!
Doug

Tim:
Two birds no problem. Here's a TWO BIRD COOK that Larry Wolfe did.

I think JimK is correct on the skin.

Doug:
I use MAD MAX'S GRAVY method. I've tried several and this is the one that works for me. However, I recommend oven roasting a couple legs, neck and veggies for the stock (see picture), really kicked it up a bit.

Larry,

We are Jim Beam family. Think it'll be much difference between that and Jack? Has anyone made this with a different bourbon?

Cheers!

I've used Jack, Jim Beam and Makers Mark. All work fine.

A couple of other tips:
1. During the brining period I will stir the brine a couple of times by grabbing the turkey's legs and twisting back and forth. This prevents the maple syrup from settling on the bottom of my bucket.

2. I've started brining my bigger birds (16 lbs +)up to 36 hours.

I've used Jack, Jim Beam and Makers Mark. All work fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sweet! The wife will appreciate not having to buy more booze!

Cheers!

OK, minor question, but guess I'll ask. Is REAL maple syrup needed/important/key to this brine?

The wife and kids use syrup all the time (I don't). So we have a pantry full of pancake and waffle syrup that has "natural and artificial flavors". But we have no real maple syrup.

I'm sure the real thing is awesome, but being a brine wasn't sure it made a difference. I know in the grand scheme of things picking up a real bottle is not a big deal. Heavens knows will be at the grocery store enough this week. But would also like to use what we have on hand whenever possible.

Thoughts???

Back