My first smoke tomorrow: A pork shoulder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madbbqer

TVWBB Member
Leave it to a woman to screw things up.

I sent the vivacious Mrs. Q out to the store for me to get some things, including a butt for my very first smoke on my new WSM. Wouldn't you know it, she comes back with a shoulder!

She tried to tell me the store was out of butts, and after a little arguing, ending with her telling me that, "I should have bought the damn thing myself!", it was decided that the shoulder will be my first victim.

I concocted the rub from the "Mr. Brown" recipie, and after cutting out an ungodly amount of fat & skin, the shoulder is rubbed, wrapped in saran wrap & in the fridge.

We smoke in the morning. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Hey Dave,

We'll see how Mr. Mad's wife likes waiting 12 or 14 hours for dinner. That ought to change her attitude. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I don't see where things are screwed up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Boston butt or fresh picnic, both are going to make for some good eating. You win with any shoulder cut, really!

Theresa

Just do not go golfing...unless the door is securly locked. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Here we go.....

Coals are lit, smoke wood is added (hickory) & the rubbed shoulder hit the top grate at 9:50am.

Trying to save a few pennies, I bought a Maverick Roast Alert 3 probe thermo, not realizing until I went to program it that it tops out at 212! Crap!

I could drive 30min (one way) to a Bed Bath & beyond and get a Polder, but i'm too skeered to leave the WSM alone. The vivacious Mrs. Q is in bed sick, so sending her out it out of the question.

ARRGH!

However, we will press on & see what comes of this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave:
[qb]Hey Mr. Mad, remember it's only BBQ a night-o-grief just ain't worth it.
Dave[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Some may say that's debatable! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
[qb]Hey Dave,

We'll see how Mr. Mad's wife likes waiting 12 or 14 hours for dinner. That ought to change her attitude. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The way things are going, she may be waiting until Tuesday! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Wagner:
[qb]Just do not go golfing...unless the door is securly locked. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I realized that I could run over to "ole dead Sam's house of terror", aka, Wal-Mart, & get a candy thermometer, so I did. Sure enough, the temp in the dome was at 300. Two vents fully closed, and she's dropping back to 280 as we speak.

Should I leave the candy thermo in the whole time, or remove it & measure at intervals. Not sure it the thermo would become "smoke coated" & become unreadable.

I usually just leave it in the top vent the whole time, never noticed a problem. Cleans up fine with S.O.S. pad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave:
[qb]I usually just leave it in the top vent the whole time, never noticed a problem. Cleans up fine with S.O.S. pad.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I've decided to leave the candy thermo where it is.

Temp at the lid came down to 240, all vents 100% & coals stirred. I'm adding another chimney of Kingsford. It's looking like i'll be using 10lbs of that stuff! Over time, I hope to learn a better way.

BTW- I'm also using sand instead of water.

Pit temp fluctuations all over the place. High as 320, low as 240.

Mopped at 2:30, meat temp dropped from 172 to 167 & sat there for 45min! Now up to 168, lid temp at 285. I was shooting for a meat temp of 190, but I may settle for 175-180.

Hey Mad,

You will probably hit a temperature plateau right about at this point. When I did my last one, it hit 169-171 and stayed there for nearly 1.5 hours. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Once it gets past it, the temps climb pretty steadily.

Pulled it off at 4:30. Temp was 175. Wrapped it in foil & let it sit for an hour.

After slicing it, I was amazed at how juicy it still was. The rub & mop I used from the "Mr. Brown" recipie was a bit too spicy for me, but that's ok. Great smoke ring all around. The wife was very impressed, as was I.

All in all, it was a success!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back