My first shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

James M-B

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm hoping this link will take you to my first pork shoulder smoke.
For the record it was great - just had some from the freezer for lunch - but I've lost my cooking log. About 25hrs I think with no troubl;e keeping a steady temperature - great.

The weather was overcast but windy so I put the WSM in the loose box - as per some of the pics - and made sure there was plenty of ventilation.

In the last picture you can see the dog looking hopeful - as if!

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=jamesmb&password=87299358

Looks tasty, I bet you get a smaller butt next time huh?
icon_smile.gif

I think the time was more like 23 hrs. looking at the times of the photos the internal temp was at 83.5 C (182 F) after 22½ hrs (the one with my shadow in - I couldn't find and angle to avoid it, I'm shy after all - still better than a naked reflected image - he-he) but I'd pulled it after 24½hrs and I let it rest in an insulated box for a bit.
I was actually off sick with a bug my baby had given me so my head was pretty muzzy - I thought the meat would go off if I didn't smoke it and I didn't fancy freezing such a big piece.
I would go smaller next time but I don't know whether I'll get the same effect from a small piece.
Being muzzy I forgot to weigh it - I think it was about 7 or 8 lbs.

OK - just got it - spotted my reflection in the lid, so how does one go about taking a pic of a nice shiny lid without that hall of mirrors effect - I see Joel K had the same issue in his second pic.
Security thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back