My First Pulled Pork

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey Everyone,
This weekend I finally got a chance to smoked my first pork shoulder. BJ's wholesale club had a great price on them, .85 cent per lb. The shoulder took 18hrs and I had to wrapped it with foil for the last hour. Friends and family was giving me the hungry look; I had to foil. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I want to thank everyone on the forum with their help. Here are some pics. Enjoy! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Richard
smoker_032104_01.jpg

smoker_032104_02.jpg

smoker_032104_03.jpg

smoker_032104_04.jpg

smoker_032104_05.jpg

smoker_032104_06.jpg

Richard,
Nice looking butts. How much did these weigh and did you use Mr. Brown or some other technique?

I gotta one of these soon.

Richard,

Looks fantastic. My WSM is on it's way...what did you learn from your first cook? Things you'll do differently / keep the same next time?

RK

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian H:
[qb] Richard,
Nice looking butts. How much did these weigh and did you use Mr. Brown or some other technique?

I gotta one of these soon. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Brian,
Both pork shoulders weigh in at 10lbs each. I used yellow mustard and my own rub. I smoked the pork at 225-235 degree. Temperture was measured at the grate. I pulled the pork off the smoker with the internal temp of 190 degree. I was super happy with the result.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich K:
[qb] Richard,

Looks fantastic. My WSM is on it's way...what did you learn from your first cook? Things you'll do differently / keep the same next time?

RK [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Rich,
Things I learned from my first smoke. Controling your fire on the WSM was a learning experience. I've been using gas all my life and jumping into a WSM was a learning experience. Also learning not to over use the wood for smoking. Less is actually better. Last, practice on less expensive meats first. This way if you screw up it doesn't hurt your pocket. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Great job! Thanks for the pics.

I sometimes use the same technique with butts or shoulder on top and a big brisket on the bottom.

More delicious looking pulled pork! You guys trying drive me crazy? (some would say you're too late) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back