My first Jerky on WSM

Well every since i bought my Smoker i planed on making Jerky. This weekend i finally did it. My brother caught his first Deer so there was my incentive. He had 3 lbs cut up for Jerky and then i added another 3 lbs of top sirloin. used Hi Mountain Garlic and Pepper Jerky cure. 6 hours total time maintaining 165 degrees steady on the WSM 18.5. Lit 6 coals on top of a good amount of charcoal. Used apple and small amount of Hickory.

I didn't take too many pics but here you go:

Top row i did the toothpicks as i didn't have any other setup. It wasn't bad and i'll do it again.

Bottom row. Bottom row cooked much faster. Was done in 4 hours. I think because it was laying down on the metal which added heat.

Finished. it was missing about 5 oz's in this picture as my brother already took the bottom rack meat home:

I'm glad i finally did it. As my youngest son (3 years) doesn't eat a lot of meat but for some reason loved eating the Jerky. I'm going to pick up another 3 lbs this weekend and make another batch. I recommend everyone make Jerky on your WSM if you haven't done it yet.

I couldn't agree more...everyone! Do this!!! I love homemade jerky!! you make me want to do this immediately!

Actually, jerky was the first cook ever did on my WSM. It came out pretty good, however being my first cook, smoker being brand new and me not really knowing what I was doing, I had trouble maintaining that low temp. Yours looks great. Toothpicks a good idea.

Very nice Mike, looks perfect. I've been doing Jerk for three decades now and I can never make enough for everybody, love it

Jerkey looks wonderful!!! Like Bill jerky never lasts around here either, no matter how much is made.

Can you make more next time and send me some....lol

Nice job buddy!! Jerky looks great.

Back