My first butts on

KenP

TVWBB Pro
Well I started my first butts one hour and 38 minutes ago.

They both started out with internal temps of 41*, but they are now reading 73* and 59*. They're both on the same rack.

I guess this difference in temps is normal and depends where the probes are... right???

They're both about 8lbs each.

I'm using the ET-7. I don't like it very much. In order to get a reading of 190*, you have to set the meat to chicken or turkey. ***?!?! Pork doesn't go that high.

Great! The probes reading just stopped. WTH!?!? I'm not that far from the sending unit.

Anyone else up tonight?

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Walk back out to the WSM with your base in hand and see if you reconnect.
HAHA!!! Of course it worked. Then I came back up to the media room and it kept working... for about 5 minutes. Could be too much interference up here, hell I don't know.
icon_mad.gif

I've now got a 19* difference between the butts. Maybe I'll move the probes in a bit and see what happens.

Running 250* at the lid, but I closed it down some so that should hold or drop a bit.

I plan on putting the ribs on around 9am using the 3-2-1. Family is showing up at 4pm looking for Q!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by KenP:
I plan on putting the ribs on around 9am using the 3-2-1. Family is showing up at 4pm looking for Q!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Ken, Baby Backs or Spares? If BB's they only need about 4.5-5 hrs. at 250º If spares about 6.5-7 hrs. at 250º grate temps. These times are based without foil.
On a side note, my NU-701's will go 50 feet through my 1951 plaster walls no problem to the back bedroom.
icon_wink.gif
Good luck with your cook Ken. It'll all be fine in the end.

BB's. I'll put them on at 10 instead. Thanks.

I'm hoping they can be appetizers.
icon_biggrin.gif

I can't be 30' as the crow flies from the damn sender.
icon_mad.gif

Watching tonight's reruns of Entourage.
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and my wireless connection in this room has been sucketh the past week. Constantly disconnecting...

Must be a glitch in the Matrix...
icon_wink.gif

Temp snuck up to 260* so I pretty much closed it all down. Only the second time I've used it, so it's leaky in a few places. I'm sure it'll gunk up with use.

Butts are 129* and 110* at 2:50 into it.

Bryan is a technical Godsend here on this site. He's gotten me out of the woods many times.

I wouldn't worry about the temp difference on the PP, at this point. I'd say constantly opening the lid to move your probes around will waste time and fuel. If they were both a similar size, I would just check later on in the cook. Cause after 10-16 hours at 250, there is no way those babies aren't past 190 and tender.

Originally posted by KenP:
Temp snuck up to 260* so I pretty much closed it all down. Only the second time I've used it, so it's leaky in a few places. I'm sure it'll gunk up with use.

Butts are 129* and 110* at 2:50.
Where are you measuring the temps at, lid/vent or grate? If lid/vent that gives you a grate temp of about 240º

Temp is at the lid with a 6" candy therm so I'm feeling pretty good.

Thanks Tom.

The problem with the ET7 is it's not transmitting. I've done the registration process no less then 8 times so I'll just deal with it tomorrow.

It's almost bedtime and things are looking good.

Thanks for the words, guys. I appreciate it.... Hummm, maybe I'll have another beer...

I use to try and use the probe and remote but they drove me crazy. Mine would disconrect when it got to far away or if the phone rang.

I use to fight my cooker now I just let it settle in and cook at the temp 260 260 275 really dosen't seem to make a difference in taste only time.

When I put the food on I figure out the cook time and start checking a little before. Most of the time I check to see how good the food looks not becuse I need too.

177* and 173* now and it's getting hard to keep the temp up above 225*. There's plenty of coals and I kicked it a couple of times and just put a small fan next to the cooker to see if that will do it. If not I'll put some new lit stuff on, but I'm hoping I don't have to do that. (Probably should have done that to start with, tho.
icon_rolleyes.gif
)

The ribs are on and the baked beans are cooking away.
icon_smile.gif

Not sure what charcoal you are using? If it's K, it might look like there's alot left but my guess is your about out of fuel. The new K briqs really stay together when burned up, making it look like you still have full briqs, when all you have is ash. Stir the coals around to see how much coal you have left.

i hope thet turned out alright ken. must be a butt kind of weekend in va beach. i picked up a 2 pack(16.93pounds) from BJ's yesterday that i will be putting on tonight. where in va beach are you ken? i was working in the redmill section all day and i live on holland road and i smelled no smoke
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Tony C.:
i hope thet turned out alright ken. must be a butt kind of weekend in va beach. i picked up a 2 pack(16.93pounds) from BJ's yesterday that i will be putting on tonight. where in va beach are you ken? i was working in the redmill section all day and i live on holland road and i smelled no smoke
icon_frown.gif
Witchduck.

Mine came from BJ's too. Did you get ribs at FF last week when they were $1.98lb? I didn't get enough...

You guys were right. I thought there were plenty of coals, but alas....

Thanks for the input.

Ribs foiled and the butts are at 185* and 189*.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
no on the ribs. i usually get my ribs from bj's since i know they are not enhanced.
Yeah, these came from BJ's. FF was last week.

Now an issue: No where did I read the trouble about getting a nicely cooked butt out of the WSM! I grabbed the first one and the thing just came apart! I slapped the pieces on a cooking sheet and was able to get the grate out for the second one.

Damn, that was some good stuff.

I did the ole 3-2-1 and finished the ribs on the Performer for just a couple of minutes each. I wish I'd have gotten pics of them before they were pretty much gone.

I used a store bought rub on the butts and basted a few times with apple juice. I gave the folks the option of kaiser rolls, or none. I also didn't put any sauce on the meat, but had three different kinds available. Most atleast dipped in the sauce. I didn't use any. Just ate the stuff the way it came off the grill.

The wife said is was the best Q she'd ever had, and she's not fond of the smoke-food combo. I kid you not, she hates food on the bone, but she was pic'in that stuff right off the cutting board. My sister was picking from the discard pile before I finally told her what it was.
icon_wink.gif

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

This is what they looked like off the cooker. It really was some awesome stuff.

012.JPG

Are you kidding me?!?! That's all they left me of the appetizers while I was busy pulling!
icon_mad.gif

Should have used a flash because even the ribs had a nice ring.

014.JPG

That's all that's left.
icon_biggrin.gif

015.JPG

Thanks for the advice, gang! Now the wife wants me to get a Food Saver and start doing some more!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back