My CL find

Linda

TVWBB Fan
I've been wanting a second 22.5" kettle for some time now, but I've never really put too much time into getting one. The Hubster suggested I look at garage sales, which is probably a good idea, but I don't do garage sales all that much as I tend to but trinkets my house has no room for. So I looked at CL and there it was! About a year old and in good condition for twenty bucks. I jumped right on it and to my surprise, it was still available! So I dashed over there and now I have my second kettle. He threw in a small bag of Kingsford Match Light, a chimney, half a bag of Royal Oak lump, 2 boxes of Zip fire starters, and a cover that is apparently for a 26" kettle. Needless to say, I am stoked! :cool:
As I stated above, it’s in good condition. The only problem I see is that one side of the kettle’s rim had been pushed out of round enough to make putting the cooking grate in place a bit of a struggle. The lid appears to still fit pretty good. I don’t have pics yet, but does anyone have advice for me as to how I can fix it?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/app/5041864070.html

Last edited:
Nice pick up for the price excellent.

There is a couple of ways to help if not fix the rim issue, you can use a bag of rice our beans wrapped in a old rage if you are handy you can shape a 2x4 to the contour of the bowl,not perfect just close.

Use this as a back up and tap with enough force( i would use a rubber hammer,dead blow even better) to reshape the bowl using the the wood or bag of beans as a back up. it will take a while but that is OK that way you bring the shape in slowly with out or less wrinkles .

Linda;
I second the motion to throw the match light away. As a further precaution, I would suggest open all of the vents fully, and put one full chimney of lit charcoal in the grill with lid on and do a high heat burn out. If any residual lighter fumes are lingering they will burn off and you'll start off with a "fresh" grill. That way you will have NO "offputting" fume smells on your food.

That's what I did with my Craigslist Performer that had been used with starter fluid for several years. Totally solved it...

Just a thought...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thank you Chucko! :) And yeah, Kevin and Robert, I am a more than a bit leery about that Match Light and will take your advice and get rid of it. I hadn't yet put thought much into it, but that's a good idea! I'm gonna put a load of KB through her before I do a cook. :eek: linda

Back