My 3rd Favorite - BBQ Fried Chicken

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
The thighs were frozen when I bought them a month+ ago, They were OK-Good, but fresh Chicken Thighs is the way to go

Slideshow

The SmokeFire is running awesome. Weber replaced: The Fan Assembly, The Auger & Motor Assembly, The Glow Plug Ignitor Assembly and a Glow Plug, and finally a new Motherboard. I installed everything but the Motherboard. The reason I didn't install the Motherboard is because my son found out what was wrong with it and fixed it. I kept the replacement Motherboard, after all, the original Motherboard was indeed bad. One of these days I'll open up the Auger Motor, I don't know why, but it kept snapping off the retainer. That seems odd to me, because I was using steel nails as auger pins, I never heard the motor bind or anything, so why it was snapping pins is beyond me. Maybe with photos of the inside of the motor, guys like Larry might see what's up with that

I've got a M1 Abrams haul coming up shortly. That's going to be fun going down the road (feelin' fine)

Chicken looks good. We buy our chicken on sale, then freeze it in packages of two or four. Please share your batter recipe always looking for new ones.

Last edited:
Awesome chicken, Chuck! Glad the SF is running smooth.

What's your batter/mix for that chicken??
Chicken looks good. We buy our chicken on sale, then freeze it in packages of two or four. Please share your batter recipe always looking for new ones.

It's an "eye-ball" recipe, but there's lots of good stuff in it:

Teaspoon measurements of spice:

White Pepper
Rosemary
Thyme
Basil
Garlic Salt
Onion Powder
Celery Salt
Paprika
Oregano
Dry Mustard

A cup + measurement

Breadcrumbs
Flour
2-3 Eggs

Mix all the spices in with the breadcrumbs, adjust to personal tastes in one bowl, and the flour in a separate bowl.

Dip the chicken thighs into the flour, coat both sides
Dip the breaded chicken into the Egg Wash
Then dip the breaded egg washed thigh into the breadcrumbs

You can certainly add heat, but this is one of those rare recipes that I don't

Time and temp on the smoke fire?
The SF ran between 375/400 even though the temp was set at 335, LOL
It took just shy of an hour to get to 165, I prefer 175 in my BBQ Fried Chicken, so my total time was about 65 minutes

It's an "eye-ball" recipe, but there's lots of good stuff in it:

Teaspoon measurements of spice:

White Pepper
Rosemary
Thyme
Basil
Garlic Salt
Onion Powder
Celery Salt
Paprika
Oregano
Dry Mustard

A cup + measurement

Breadcrumbs
Flour
2-3 Eggs

Mix all the spices in with the breadcrumbs, adjust to personal tastes in one bowl, and the flour in a separate bowl.

Dip the chicken thighs into the flour, coat both sides
Dip the breaded chicken into the Egg Wash
Then dip the breaded egg washed thigh into the breadcrumbs

You can certainly add heat, but this is one of those rare recipes that I don't
Thanks for the recipe, will be given that a try.

Back