Moving on from Man Cave Meals

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
I've followed this guy for years but couldn't take his content any longer:

Like many YouTubers, he started out great. Actually, I joined his forum, Kamado Guru, which is now defunct, years ago. It was the goto source for kamado cooking.
Now his channel is a constant stream of complicated cooks, bourbon drinking and basically schilling for expensive, limited use BBQ grills and equipment. I realize it's a common theme...person turns their passion into an interesting channel, gains a large following, gets free stuff and their channel becomes monetized...kudos to them for that. But after awhile, the core concept becomes diluted and branches out in weird directions.
I have zero interest in watching dudes drinking bourbon on a live stream and sous vide cooking and super expensive log cookers, pellet cookers and one trick pony BBQ devices.

But I did find a guy that is pretty good to replace him now...more generic cooking: https://youtube.com/@SmokinandGrillinwithAB

So it goes...and it's all good!

I'm surprised that Man Cave Meals is back up, he went corporate several years back and took all those old videos down. But there's some great channels to watch quality videos

The Virtual Weber Channel

How to BBQ right

Good ol' Smokin Joes

Hey Grill Hey

You can't go wrong with any of those, you can follow along or print the recipes. Good stuff Maynerd

I'm surprised that Man Cave Meals is back up, he went corporate several years back and took all those old videos down. But there's some great channels to watch quality videos

The Virtual Weber Channel

How to BBQ right

Good ol' Smokin Joes

Hey Grill Hey

You can't go wrong with any of those, you can follow along or print the recipes. Good stuff Maynerd
Good info. Thank you, Sir.
He's still on Youtube and if you have difficulty sleeping any night, have a look at his Facebook live streams. They are terrible. Not the cooking ones as much as the drinking, talking with dudes who are just boring and drinking bourbon. Snoozefest.

Hey Brett…hush!🤬

I have found that almost all of those “sources” grind my teeth! Deep throated hillbillies carrying on with some sort of ridiculous hayseed stereotype jargon or massive Biker dude that is doing far more work for the desired result than necessary. ”Hey Grill Hey” is some what lass obnoxious and certainly nicer looking than those burly men (at least for me). I have no axe to grind with any of them I just find most a simple waste of time and bandwidth.

Hey Brett…hush!🤬

I have found that almost all of those “sources” grind my teeth! Deep throated hillbillies carrying on with some sort of ridiculous hayseed stereotype jargon or massive Biker dude that is doing far more work for the desired result than necessary. ”Hey Grill Hey” is some what lass obnoxious and certainly nicer looking than those burly men (at least for me). I have no axe to grind with any of them I just find most a simple waste of time and bandwidth.
I generally agree with you here. Many of them try and ride the silly notion that the South owns grilling. It's stupid.
Also, I'm gravitating toward channels that do more than just outdoor cooking. Ones that combine indoor and outdoor recipes. This guy, AB, has two grills from what I can see. A pellet(RecTec) and a Weber kettle.
He's always quick to point out that you can use any available alternative though, which I appreciate.

Harry Soo’s video channel has gotten a little weird with his shorts but he’s got a million things to get you going in the right direction.

Malcom has done a great job over the years as well.

Jeremy Yoder is my guy for BBQ these days.

However I am also looking to up my entire cooking game so I watch a lot of stuff from outside the bbq world as well. When I retire I plan on taking some cooking classes to see if I can really elevate my game. We’ll see, I love cooking and when we sell and move to a larger place in the sticks a nice big kitchen is a must.

I’m not saying there isn’t a boat load of very good information out there but, the way it’s shared is getting stranger and stranger. I used to very much enjoy Food network but it’s all become stupid game shows and challenges with little real cooking so, I’ve pretty much quit watching all of them. I get more out of looking through my old recipes and cook books.

I’m not saying there isn’t a boat load of very good information out there but, the way it’s shared is getting stranger and stranger. I used to very much enjoy Food network but it’s all become stupid game shows and challenges with little real cooking so, I’ve pretty much quit watching all of them. I get more out of looking through my old recipes and cook books.
food network has become TV game show network with food themes as a back drop.

A friend suggested America's test kitchen

I recommend canceling cable TV and using that money for an annual vacation. We did just that in 2015 and don’t miss cable tv at all. Over $12k not spent in TV to date. And a lot of annual trips completed.
How do you watch the Giants and Niners?

How do you watch the Giants and Niners?
Niners are free tv. Recorded to a DVR I own and I have hdtv antenna to grab the signal. I stream a few giants games a year. And you can use a vpn to watch giants on mlb app which T-Mobile gives me an annual subscription for free. And Netflix too. But I mainly watch YouTube if I’m watching. And we have Amazon prime. TV isn’t a big part of our life anymore. I’d rather cook or be outside. Or on a road trip to wineries.

Harry Soo’s video channel has gotten a little weird with his shorts but he’s got a million things to get you going in the right direction.

Malcom has done a great job over the years as well.

Jeremy Yoder is my guy for BBQ these days.

However I am also looking to up my entire cooking game so I watch a lot of stuff from outside the bbq world as well. When I retire I plan on taking some cooking classes to see if I can really elevate my game. We’ll see, I love cooking and when we sell and move to a larger place in the sticks a nice big kitchen is a must.
Big fan of Jeremy! Mad Scientist!

TV isn’t a big part of our life anymore. I’d rather cook or be outside. Or on a road trip to wineries.
TV provides a component of evening entertainment but I prefer surfing Mavericks and Nazere and extreme hot air ballooning. Winter is a different game. Heliskiing and snowboarding all the way.

Back