Mother's DAY cook...mmm QQQQQQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt J

TVWBB Fan
Afternoon all,

Got three slabs of the nicest looking BB ribs I have ever got my hands on smoking and a 8lb butt. Planning to pull the ribs off somewhere around the 5 1/2 - 6 hour range. Let the butt cook all night till 190-195 degs and then let it rest for a few hours in the cooler.

Best thing is I was taking to my neighbor who I recently got interested in Qing and he bought a WSM and is trying it out for the first time today. In looking for some good cuts of meat he found a seafood/meat specialty shop that just opened up near us in Valrico, Florida (15 miles east of Tampa FL). This place is great...you go in and everything...and I mean everything is fresh. All the cuts of meat are cut to YOUR specs. The BB ribs I got were pretty expensive but they are the meatttteessssst ones I have ever got. I'll get some pics of them when they are done and post them. They also had pretty much everything I could think of. UNCUT briskets, butts, spares, BB's, seafood. I picked out a dry rub that they had there (a local produced one) and they even pulled the membrane of the BB's and did the rub for me. So all I had to do was come home. Fire up the WSM and take them out of the butchers paper and put them on the grate. They even did the same for the butt. They trimmed if for me (worked great cuz i didn't have to pay for all the excess fat they trimmed off the cap and then I had them rub it with mustard and then with a dry rub I picked out that they had. NOW I will say it's NOT cheap to go this route but for me with two kids and my wife and I working many many hours (both military)...you can't beat this type of service.

They will even marinate your chicken for you in a wine-spice combo if you call ahead and already have an account opened with them.

Well...back down to check on the meat..time to baste the ribs. I'll post some pics and a summary when I get done.

If any of you have these types of markets in your area let me know what you think of them and what the typical prices are like. Thanks and good Qing to all of ya.

--Matt J.............can't beat have good Q cooking with a beer in hand and floating in the pool in sunny florida /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif GOOO TB Lightning

To date these are the best ribs I have eaten.......will post some pics in the morning when I download them....night all..........MMMMM
Gotta go check on the Butt...........still cooking at a steady 240 deg..............it's sitting in the 170's now. Hopefully it will be done by around 3-4 am ish.

Consider yourself lucky to have a decent butcher in your area! I live in the Raleigh, NC area - there are close to 3/4 million people in Wake County and not one decent butcher that I have found. Sure we have some grocers with meat departments that are ok (Fresh Market, Whole Foods, etc), but not a single specialty butcher. And yes, I have considered it as a potential business, but don't think I know quite enough to butcher a whole cow! Now pig, that is a different story!

Look forward to seeing some pics of your cook!

Which recipe did you use for the ribs and mop? Just curious! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hey Rick,

I live in the RTP area and I know of a place in Apex called Williams Grocery and Meat Market, 919-362-6181. Also Meatlocker Inc. in Cary at 919-460-0009. Or on the Weekend go down to the Farmers Market in Raleigh. At this time of year you should be able to get some good prices or at least talk to those Butchers that are selling the Great HOG, and ask if there are any local beef butchers that they can put you in touch with. I'm going to go down to the Market this weekend and see what I can dig up.

Steve-

You are THE man!!! I now have 2 places to go check out and see what kind of meats they have! I am basically on a first name basis with the kind folks of Nahunta...been going there for a long time for all my pork needs, just never knew where to go for beef products.

Thanks again and I'll certainly let you know what I find at these places! I work in Cary and live in Apex so they sound very convenient to me!

Thanks again!

Darrell...I actually didn't have time to make one from scratch...so I took the advice of my butcher and went with a locally produced rub from Howton Farms (www.howtonfarms.com) and sprayed using half times with an apple flavored malt beer LOL. Just wanted to see how they would come out if I used it vice actually apple juice which I normally use. Then in the end I put on some of the HOT BBQ sauce that I got from the same local company (howtonfarms) and let the sauce carmelize a bit then took them off and served them up. The thickest part of the ribs on the end got a bit tough but overall they were very tender. Took the part that was tough and pulled it off bone and chopped it up with some onion and BBq sauce and made a sandwich out of it for lunch today. I plan to upload some pics of what they looked like in the end but I have to figure out who to do that first /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

--MJ

Hey Rick,

I read about this place in Durham off of 15-501 near where the old South Square Mall was located. I'm going to go have lunch at this joint tommorow and I'll let you know the results..
The Q Shack in Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back