Moonshiners: Smoke Ring series on Discovery+

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've subscribed to the Discovery+ streaming service and found this show. First, I never knew there was a long running series called Moonshiners. It ran for 9 years on Discovery network. I thought moonshining was a product of prohibition that went away years ago. But this show is an off shoot.

The premise of the show is a bit contrived, somehow there's these backwoods moonshiners who track down backwoods barbecue and this is all done in the hills of Appalachia. And when I started watching the first episode it appeared to be too much hillbilly for me. But then, some real serious southern barbecue showed up. Its almost funny when a fella whose a pig farmer, wearing cut off overalls as shorts, with a beard and hair down his back, begins to use a term like mouthfeel to describe a bite.

Its a competition that pairs two cooks against each other with another well known cook as a guest judge. But its not serious comp and more like backyard or barbecue joint type of cooking, at least to me.

I'm three epidodes in, they've done whole hog, ribs, and pork butt. I'm pretty much hooked. Here's the trailer

Was that tickle doing the voice over? Guess hes out of jail again! I didnt know there was a bbq version, I'll have to check it out. I actually watched a bunch of the original show. Enough that I decided to dabble a bit in the craft. Being a homebrewer I already had most of the equipment. Had a lot of fun. Always just gave it away to friends or pulled it out around a campfire. People loved it, they always want what they arent supposed to have.

Yes, its Tickle and I believe the other guy's name is Tank Jackson, he's the pig farmer.

The winner each week gets a jar of moonshine.

Was that tickle doing the voice over? Guess hes out of jail again! I didnt know there was a bbq version, I'll have to check it out. I actually watched a bunch of the original show. Enough that I decided to dabble a bit in the craft. Being a homebrewer I already had most of the equipment. Had a lot of fun. Always just gave it away to friends or pulled it out around a campfire. People loved it, they always want what they arent supposed to have.

I just finished Season 1. It is an education in brewing . Tickle must live a hard life, cuz he's aged a lot since 2011. I don't think Shine is something I'd like to drink, it looks like pure alcohol.

Episode 4 of Smoker Ring should be available tomorrow, I think Chris Lilly is the guest judge.

Last week was Chris Lilly judging " church chicken " .

This week is sausage and they've got a guy that makes his own bologna. He makes a bologna sandwich that Tickle says he likes better than steak ;)

Released episode 6 today, its called " low country surf and turf " , but its not lobster and steak.

I thought there would only be six episodes, so this may be the last one.

BTW, Discovery + for me , has been well worth the $7 per month, which is the no ads version. There's an amazing amount of content, like every episode of Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives.

I don't need cable news or , this time of year, sports. So Philo has been my primary streaming service. For $20 a month they have a bunch of channels. But the bulk of Philo's channels are Discovery channels and I get all of them on Discovery + . I would cancel Philo except for Mrs Dollar needing her Hallmark Channel fix.

I get Philo at $20, Discvovery + at $7 , basic Hulu at $6 . This is on top of hanging an antenna and getting all my local stations OTA and using a Tablo DVR to record them. That's $33 a month for more TV than I will ever watch.

This will serve me fine until football season.

Last edited:
I'm getting Discovery+ for free for a year with Verizon. I'm also getting HBOMax free from AT&T Fiber, and the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle free from Verizon, although I already pay like $90 a month for Hulu Live with no commercials, Enhanced DVR, No ads, and Showtime. Also paying for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Motor Trend, Paramount+, and Peacock. I get Apple Music free from Verizon, but pay for XM for 2 cars and streaming. I think that's about it. Lol. Oh, and History Channel streaming too.

Well, surf and turf sort've got away from true barbecue, but the food looked delicious.

I don't know if this is last in the series or not, I hope not. They've not done any beef, except maybe to add to pork in the sausage episode. I guess that's representative of Carolina barbecue.

And that's all folks !!

It ended after six episodes. I've got no idea if there would be any more.

This would be a good time to get the free trial and binge. Word of warning, stay away from the " Underground BBQ " series, that's some of the most ridiculous crap I've seen. I made it through two episodes, Mrs Dollar had all she could stand about the beginning of number two.

BTW, Discovery + for me , has been well worth the $7 per month, which is the no ads version. There's an amazing amount of content, like every episode of Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives.

I don't need cable news or , this time of year, sports. So Philo has been my primary streaming service. For $20 a month they have a bunch of channels. But the bulk of Philo's channels are Discovery channels and I get all of them on Discovery + . I would cancel Philo except for Mrs Dollar needing her Hallmark Channel fix.

I get Philo at $20, Discvovery + at $7 , basic Hulu at $6 . This is on top of hanging an antenna and getting all my local stations OTA and using a Tablo DVR to record them. That's $33 a month for more TV than I will ever watch.

This will serve me fine until football season.
Completely agree. Of all the various streaming services I have the Discovery+ is by far the most worth the money. No commercials is the only version to go.

Not to mention every episode of BBQ Pitmasters. Mrs Dollar and are close to rewatching all the seasons. We found the early episodes , Season 1 and 2 , the most interesting , being able to look back.

Back