Monster Bird

Allen Sharar

TVWBB Super Fan
I picked up my turkey last week and it's quite large - 27lbs. The store I got it at had limited selection and every bird was between 25 and 30 - never seen anything like it. I plan on using the apple brine and then smoke on 18 wsm. Obviously I'll need to break down the bird for it to fit. Should the leg/thigh quarters go on top or bottom rack of wsm? Thanks

Agreed, I'd prefer two smaller birds. Still might keep this one in the garage freezer and go with 2 smaller ones - just grabbed the 27 as I was between work trips and wanted to get the discounted price based on my grocery shopping. Always nice to have a couple in the freezer for later in the year when they are more expensive and harder to find.

I never see them that big here, and I always buy the biggest one I can find. This year it's 25.5 lb. Jenny-O.

The only time I ever bought a turkey that size - to get the special sale price - I had the guy at the store cut it in half, and I wrapped and froze it like two small turkeys. But that was years ago, when grocery stores still had meat departments that cut their steaks and made ground beef.

Back