Milazzo Qik Joe Natural lump Charcoal

Joe H.

TVWBB Member
I just got 2 20lb bags of this after checking the naked whiz site... seemed to have food reveiws so far, but they didn't have a full review done yet. I used lump for the longest time, Cowboy way, once i did more research i found that it was not good at all. I tried 2 bags of kingsford in my kettle while I was waiting for my WSM since a lot of people seem to use it. I was amazed at the amount of ash compared to the lump(even the recycled floor board cowboy way). So I found this Milazzo stuff at the local hardware store and have used it for my first two cooks on the WSM with great results. My problem is that it was 17.99/ea. for 20lb. bags. Does anyone use this stuff, is there something compareable for less or is this seriously overpriced? thats a lot compared to the 8.99 for cowboy, and i am stuck on lump so kingsford isnt an option. Ive tried 2 bags of BBQ galore in the past and a lot of it wasnt charred all the way. Not too many other options.

I can buy Nature-Glo (made by Royal Oak) at a local restaurant supply house (that sells to the public) for about $8.50 for a 20 pound bag. See if there are any restaurant supply houses near you that will sell to you - they may have a better deal than what you paid at the hardware store.
Here's what I burn in my WSM.

Joe, if you ever make it up to the Aberdeen area, my friend stocks Ranch brand lump at his store, I believe it's like $11 for a 20 lbs bag but I can double check the price next time I stop in. I personally haven't tried it in my WSM yet though, I've been having good luck with the Duraflame hardware briquettes.

His store is RIBnIt, 2130 Pulaski Highway, Havre de Grace, MD, it's just north of Aberdeen on Rt40.

I will have to try that place, I live in harford co. in abingdon. Since your from the area do you know any quality butcher shops around? I got a roast from brooms bloom dairy which was pretty good, but meat really isnt their priority.

Haven't found myself a good butcher shop yet, I'm up in Cecil County, haven't tried looking around Harford for one yet.

Yeah. I saw the review on the Cowboy as well. Just ordered some of the WGC WWB Lump (got a clay saucer for the water pan too). I am anxious to see the diff. Always had good results (I thought) w/ Cowboy but there is a lot of scrap in it. I saw the "Ranch" (where I used to buy the Cowboy). How is that stuff?

Joe , living in NEPA and Milazzo being in my backyard, I tried it a while back and I too find it pricey. I paid a bit more than you did and I picked it up at the warehouse!
Also I found quite a bit of flooring pieces in the bags. That turned me off.
Do you have a Wegmans grocery near you? They have great lump in 10 lb bags for about $6. It's their own brand.
Trouble is, they only have it in the warm months. I try to stock up as much as I can to make it through the winter.
Just bought 3 bags of Cowboy at Lowes. Going to cook some ribs this weekend with some.

J

I used cowboy in my kettle and it gets really hot, but for anything that takes a while to cook it burns up way too fast. I havent used it in the WSM but my freind tried it in his and said he had to fill it up a lot more than with k-ford or other lump.

Back