Mesquite lump charcoal + Kingsford cooking chuck steak

Darrell_K

This weekend I experimented a little with charcoal. I had some big pieces of mesquite charcoal that were too big for my little weber grill so I tried them in my 18.5" WSM. Here are some photos.

DSCN3385%5B1%5D.JPG

DSCN3386.JPG

DSCN3393.JPG

DSCN3394.JPG

DSCN3396.JPG

DSCN3397.JPG

DSCN3398.JPG

I watched the temp close and never let it get above 275. By the end of the cook about 6 hours later I couldn't get the temp over 235. I don't think the larger chunks would have done much more on this cook. I never did get sparks from the mesquite. Also it was weird. Once the meat temp hit 212 it stayed there for the last hour. I check the tenderness when the meat was around 200 but it wasn't tender enough.

As you can see we went the taco route with the meat. I used taco seasoning on the beef. It is super good!

Darrel;
Well, whatever you did, the product looks GREAT! I suggest that maybe you needed to use more briquettes with the lump. Then the larger pieces would have probably burned. I would have been surprised, too, like you, that the mesquite lump didn't burn well. Live and learn, huh?:rolleyes:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That's the key for me Robert! Live and learn. Next weekend doing 30 lbs of pork butt for Carnitas... Another first for me. I will stick with the Kingsford for a long cook like pork butts.

What did you think about the mesquite? (flavor wise) Nice cook, bet the tacos were out of this world

Chuck there was very little smoke during the cook. I couldn't taste much over the seasoning. I've used mesquite wood chunks before and that did taste great with the brisket I did.

Back