For the barbecue shake:
1/4 cup paprika
2 TB. ground coriander
1 TB. ground cumin
1 TB. ground chiles of your choice, or red pepper flakes
1 TB. powdered mustard
3 TB. freshly cracked black pepper
1 TB. kosher salt

1. Build a multi-level fire in your grill. Leaving 1/4 of the bottom free of coals, bank the coals in the remaining 3/4 of the grill so that they are 3 times as high on one side of the grill as on the other. When all the coals are ignited and the temperature has died down to medium-low (you can hold your hand about 5" above the grill grid, over the area where the coals are deepest, for 5 seconds), your're ready to cook.
2. Sprinkle the ribs lightly with salt and pepper, place them on the grill, and cook until they have a nice, crusty sear on the outside and are cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes per side. To check for doneness, cut into one of the ribs and peek to be sure there is no pink all the way down to the bone.
3. While the ribs are cooking, combine all the shake ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. When the ribs are done, remove them from the grill, immediately sprinkle them generously with about half of the shake, cut them apart and serve. If you like, you can pass any remaining shake separately. "Serves 4 hungry people". (lol)

Source: "Let The Flames Begin" - Chris Schlesinger & John Willoughby - 2002

Last edited:
DH saw the book I had out, and found a great sounding recipe for tonight's dinner. If it turns out real good, look for it tomorrow on the POULTRY thread. ;) Hey Chris, it will BLOW YOUR MIND!!! lol

Joan, did the recipe specify if the ribs go over the coals, or over the "cool" side? I'd imagine the latter, as that's how I've always done them in this style. I also use less fuel, lower heat when I do hot/fast, and they take me about 90 minutes. Loved your pic you posted of these! :)

R

Hi Rich, first, I typed all of the recipe. Second, with a short cooking time, I would think "over the coals". Third, thank you ;)

Back