Memorial Day Smoke- brisket advice needed

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
I will be smoking 2 boston butts and 1 choice packer brisket for a Memorial Day cookout I am attending.

Based on numerous threads I've read, it sounds like most people prefer to put the butts on top and have the pork fat baste the brisket. Conceptually this makes sense to me as pork fat makes pretty much anything better. I don't have to worry about Kosher so that's not a concern. For reference, each butt is about 8.25LBS and the brisket is 11.5LBS.

The cookout starts at 4:00PM so I am thinking about starting everything around midnight. I figure everything will be done around noon. I'll probably go ahead and pull the butts, then reheat at the party. I was planning to store the brisket in a cooler and then slice at the party as I've read that brisket drys out quickly once sliced.

Primary questions:

1) Does my timetable sound pretty good? Sounds like brisket can be stored safely in a cooler for 4-5 hours from other threads I've read.

2) I'm considering going pretty simple with the brisket. Possibly just a kosher salt/coarse ground pepper rub ala Franklin Barbecue style. I figure that the pork fat will keep the top of the brisket moist, and the bottom will stay moist since I'll arrange it fat cap down. It seems like many here do not prefer injections for brisket for home use. To KISS, I am leaning towards not injecting it. I also figure that the pork rub I apply will come off slightly during the cooking process and add extra flavor to the brisket as well.

How does this plan sound from a seasoning perspective? This will be my first brisket attempt in almost a year. Haven't had much success in the past, but I believe I was using Select Packers. I finally found a Choice Packer so I'm excited to try it out.

Last edited:
Your plan is exactly what I would do,,,actually that was my Memorial Day smoke but now I have to go the lake in which I'm only going to grill chicken and carne asada.

Is slicing ahead of time, and then warming up about 4 hours later an option?

Just wondering if I absolutely have to rest until the party, then slice on demand, OR if I could slice ahead of time, then reheat?

I've read so much about brisket I get confused. I thought I read somewhere that sliced brisket will dry out in a matter of 30 minutes if it's left out. Not sure if that's true.

Depending on the cook temp 12 hours may not be enough for the brisket. A brisket l&s takes 1-1 1/2 hrs per pound to cook so I would probably start it earlier.

I think starting at midnight would be plenty of time for a 4PM party. A 11.5 lb brisket should be done in 12 hours easily if you run at 250 degrees, at least mine are. I would wrap in foil and keep in an aluminum pan with the juice (if you foil) and cut as needed, keeping a towel over the meat. But of course that's just me. Good luck Bryan!

You're not going to want to cut or pull ahead if you want an optimal product, just from experience. (Yes, it will work, but assuming you have a choice, there's a reason that most comp cooks don't do it ahead of time.) Meat cooked to 195-200 and then held in an insulated environment will hold for a lonnnnnnng time. Hours. Like, 5 or so, if you need. I've put pork butts in the Cambro once they were done and tried to pull them 4 hours later and they were so hot I couldn't hang on to the meat. Brisket is the same way, though it's not quite the heat-sink that a butt is.

You can also lower your heat and take advantage of the extra time on the grill if you're going to put them on for sure at midnight. That's what I'd do. I think you'll find that the meats are going to be fairly similar in required cooking time.

Thanks Randy. I believe you convinced me to rest and then slice on demand. I"m shooting for 250 but I don't really know how it will go. I just got a brand new WSM. (I have another but its at my parents house)

Anyways, 2 pork butts on top, brisket on bottom, with brand new WSM. I know newer WSM's traditionally run hot but considering it will be done at night, and the massive amount of meat that will be in the cooker, I wouldn't think it will go above 250. I hope I am right as I don't have a temperature control system or remote thermometer.

As for the resting, is a traditional cooler fine? I see the word cambro on here alot. I wasn't sure what it is so I googled it. Sounds like a fancy cooler. Also, do you have a certain method of resting? Would you wrap in HD foil, then wrap a towel over that?

Thanks Randy. I believe you convinced me to rest and then slice on demand. I"m shooting for 250 but I don't really know how it will go. I just got a brand new WSM. (I have another but its at my parents house)

Anyways, 2 pork butts on top, brisket on bottom, with brand new WSM. I know newer WSM's traditionally run hot but considering it will be done at night, and the massive amount of meat that will be in the cooker, I wouldn't think it will go above 250. I hope I am right as I don't have a temperature control system or remote thermometer.

As for the resting, is a traditional cooler fine? I see the word cambro on here alot. I wasn't sure what it is so I googled it. Sounds like a fancy cooler. Also, do you have a certain method of resting? Would you wrap in HD foil, then wrap a towel over that?

Sure. Given the time you have, you can reduce your heat a little to 215 to 225, and you'll keep your water longer and use less fuel overnight. Then, if it creeps up during the night it won't be much more than you'll want to maintain the next morning on through your cook. I'll often set my temps a little lower because rarely do mine go lower as long as I have fuel but they sometimes venture higher.

One thing you may want to do if the smoker is straight-up brand new is burn a little charcoal in it without food to burn off any off flavors, but that's up to you.

You're indeed correct, Cambro is the name of a company that makes insulated food pan carriers. Though quite handy, you're also correct in that they're absolutely not a must-have unless you cook for crowds a lot. A regular cooler will work quite nicely, just put a bath towel in the bottom, then the meat triple wrapped in foil, then a big, thick, towel on top.

Just some thoughts, not necessarily a declaration that it's the right way, but it definitely works for us ;)

I did a similar cook last year about this time for a neighbor's BBQ - I went high heat with the 2 butts (~275F), no water, started the fire, not minion, a full chimney to equal a full ring, ran a dry pan, and then with 5 hours to go (count on 4.25 hours) I put the brisket on.

I'd be hesitant to have the brisket on the bottom even with water in the pan for fear of burning the ends (not the burnt ends you're going for). If you put the butts on the lower rack they're protected by the pan. If you do put it on the bottom I'd put a fairly thick layer of foil under the ends. Plus, how are you going to wedge the packer between the handles???

Personally, I'd try to crank the temp as high as possible (~275f with all of that meat on there) and plan for longer time if you don't go High Heat. I think my butts took ~10 hours and they turned out great (fat all rendered, I used a ton of smoke wood throughout).

I used to take ~16-22 hours for butts, probably all of the briskets (~5) I've done have been high heat.

If you find yourself needing a higher temp, propping the door doesn't really work for me but offsetting the lid just a bit (1/4"-1/2") does.

What rubs are you planning? I like K Kruger's "A Butt Rub (For Jane)", and Kaz S' "Bigger Badder Beef Rub" (can't find the recipe)

High Heat Brisket method in case you're interested.

I am more or less planning to follow this tutorial.......... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

It's easy to follow and seems simple for someone not very experienced with brisket.

That said, I'm probably going to season the top of the brisket with kosher salt, coarse ground pepper, and garlic powder. Probably will just sprinkle directly on from the shakers and not even mix up a rub. Again, trying to keep it simple.

I plan to go low and slow as that is what my timetable requires. I understand that many have success with high heat, but I tried it once and it didn't work out too well. Maybe I did something wrong or maybe the quality of the brisket wasn't very good, I dunno. In either case, I'm definitely going Low and Slow this time.

On that note, I wasn't planning to use water. Do you think it will be necessary with 2 butts and a brisket in the cooker? Seems like that should be enough of a "meat sink" to keep the temps down.

I am more or less planning to follow this tutorial.......... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

It's easy to follow and seems simple for someone not very experienced with brisket.

That said, I'm probably going to season the top of the brisket with kosher salt, coarse ground pepper, and garlic powder. Probably will just sprinkle directly on from the shakers and not even mix up a rub. Again, trying to keep it simple.

I plan to go low and slow as that is what my timetable requires. I understand that many have success with high heat, but I tried it once and it didn't work out too well. Maybe I did something wrong or maybe the quality of the brisket wasn't very good, I dunno. In either case, I'm definitely going Low and Slow this time.

On that note, I wasn't planning to use water. Do you think it will be necessary with 2 butts and a brisket in the cooker? Seems like that should be enough of a "meat sink" to keep the temps down.

I like to, but it's just a personal preference. It just helps maintain a little humidity and facilitates a thermal mass that helps temp to remain stable. That having been said, there are plenty of people who don't use it and achieve a great end result. Do whichever you feel comfortable in doing.

In the event that you're looking to keep it simple, and you're wanting to learn from one of the best 'keep it simple' brisket guys in the country, you might wish to YouTube Cooking with Aaron, or Brisket with Aaron, or something like that. It's Aaron Franklin, and it doesn't get any simpler nor is there a better and more relatable guy.

I like to, but it's just a personal preference. It just helps maintain a little humidity and facilitates a thermal mass that helps temp to remain stable. That having been said, there are plenty of people who don't use it and achieve a great end result. Do whichever you feel comfortable in doing.

In the event that you're looking to keep it simple, and you're wanting to learn from one of the best 'keep it simple' brisket guys in the country, you might wish to YouTube Cooking with Aaron, or Brisket with Aaron, or something like that. It's Aaron Franklin, and it doesn't get any simpler nor is there a better and more relatable guy.

I have watched his videos and found them very helpful. I am planning to incorporate some of that knowledge on the cook this weekend.

I will post my results on Monday and Tuesday to let everyone know how it went. Thanks for the help.

Your plan is exactly what I would do,,,actually that was my Memorial Day smoke but now I have to go the lake in which I'm only going to grill chicken and carne asada.

"I have to go to the lake"

Man you make it sound like a punishment LOL.

I would use water in the pan because it makes it simpler for a beginner to keep a steady low temp. I still use it most of the time. One less thing to worry about when sleeping.

I'd start earlier. I've cooked butts at low temps that took 14 to even 17 hours for a pair to get to temp. More meat in (your brisket) seems to make it all take longer for me, even with the WSM temp the same. Science may say that is dumb, but my notes say otherwise.

If anything gets ready early, as said above, it will hold in an ice chest (wrapped in foil and towels or newspaper) for several hours, and it will slice up as good as anything at party time. I try to time my cooks for meat to be ready 2 to 4 hours before party. That gives me time to clean up and shower if the meat gets done, and gives me time to cook if it ain't done. Nothing worse than hungry guests arriving as you sit in smoky clothes by the WSM and pray the meat thermometer will move another degree.

Good luck! I bet it will turn out great. Mine almost always do, even when something screws up along the way.

I would use water in the pan because it makes it simpler for a beginner to keep a steady low temp. I still use it most of the time. One less thing to worry about when sleeping.

I'd start earlier. I've cooked butts at low temps that took 14 to even 17 hours for a pair to get to temp. More meat in (your brisket) seems to make it all take longer for me, even with the WSM temp the same. Science may say that is dumb, but my notes say otherwise.

If anything gets ready early, as said above, it will hold in an ice chest (wrapped in foil and towels or newspaper) for several hours, and it will slice up as good as anything at party time. I try to time my cooks for meat to be ready 2 to 4 hours before party. That gives me time to clean up and shower if the meat gets done, and gives me time to cook if it ain't done. Nothing worse than hungry guests arriving as you sit in smoky clothes by the WSM and pray the meat thermometer will move another degree.

Good luck! I bet it will turn out great. Mine almost always do, even when something screws up along the way.

Bryan, this is outstanding advice. There is nothing like running into serving time and still cooking with no end in sight. It would be worth taking into consideration.

I would smoke the brisket first, put it on at 8pm at 250 should be done by 6am then throw the butts on and high heat them and they will be done either an hour before or at noon. This is the combo I do when I tailgate for 60 people, butts go one the night before, I go to sleep, wake up they are done by 5 to 6 and the 18 racks of ribs go on and they are done by noon. I like the HH method, it saves so much time and gives you the same results.

Back