Meat Slicer

James G

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about purchasing a meat slicer since the wife does not like pre-sliced cheese and I prefer to make my own pastrami rather than buy it pre-made.

If any of you (and I know some of you do) have a meat slicer that you are very pleased with or recommendations of what to look for/buy please feel free to let me know.

I bought a Chef's Choice 610 slicer a while ago when I decided I'd be making bacon regularly. It's pretty good for the price, but if I had to use it every day I'd probably get something more substantial. There is a folding version of this which makes it a bit easier to hide away in a drawer in your kitchen.

Chefs Choice 610

I have an el cheapo chef's choice 610, also.
It works for what I need to do with it, but it does have one really annoying (non)feature...
There is no cover on the outside of the blade which is spinning counter-clockwise. As you push the meat into the blade the downward spin forces the meat in a downward direction (good). As the meat passes the halfway (center hub) of the blade the rotation of the blade lifts the meat. While this is a wholly inadequate description, the result is that you have to continually (every 5-10 slices) flip the meat over to get it to cut squarely.

If the blade had something covering it to keep the meat from contacting the side of the spinning blade there would be no problem.

It also could be entirely user-error.

Ron

I have the 610 as well. It's pretty easy to use, kind of a pain to clean. With long thin things like bacon it can kind of flop around depending on how flexible that particular slab is. Sometimes I have to flip it, sometimes I don't.

You'll find unexpected uses for it. It does a fantastic job on salami - there's a family favorite salami and cream cheese roll thing and with a little experimentation I figured out the perfect thickness and whipped out a ton of the stuff. And then did it again after it all got eaten up - it's so much better fresh sliced than after it's sat for a bit, and the thickness is pretty important because that's the only way to control the meat/cheese ratio.

IMHO the consumer grade electric slicers just don't cut it (no pun intended) for much more than just occasional light duty use. Besides, the ones I've tried were a pain to clean and store. I second Clint's recommendation for a good slicing knife...low tech, easy to clean and store and a pleasure to use.

Back