Maverick Food Probes

Jon_Skeet

Hi All,

Another question from the UK, can any of you guys in the US point me in the direction of a good, cheap supplier of the Maverick food probes? Just planning on building a couple of HeaterMeters for my mate and I and need to get some additional ones.

I have an ET-73 so have one probe but need a few more. We will both be using the K type thermocouples for the pit temp.

Cheers,

Jon.

I have grown to hate Maverick probes, they take on water way too easily and fail, I have burned through so many of them I just wont buy them any more. I have grown to like the Thermoworks Pro probes, the bead they have where the cable enters the probe keeps water out and keeps the probe working longer. So far I haven't had a single Thermoworks probe fail due to water, the only way I have killed them is by heating them beyond their high end temp range, which is unfortunately just a bit about 500F. Thermoworks still has them on sale for 1/2 off, $7.50 per probe is a great deal....

Thanks Tom,

Just got off the phone with them and that's what they told me, won't ship to the UK as you can buy in the UK via ETI... UK price per probe £9.60 inc VAT, US price $7.50 (£4.50)

Many thanks for the links :) I work for a company that has several US offices and colleagues going over there all the time that could bring plenty back and save the shipping. If any of you guys in the UK would be interested please PM me as collectively we could save a lot of money on probes. MODS, if this is not allowed I apologise in advance, please delete the offending bits.

The UK is a rip off for this stuff as we are very much a minority trying to make amazing Q!

Many thanks to Ralph for the original heads up!! :)

Cheers,

Jon.

Jon.

If you had enough volume.... http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...meter-replacement-temperature_1907806613.html :) Seriously - if you hunt around you can probably find them in China or Hong Kong for a buck or two each.

Interesting.... It says you can use for immersion, but the end where the cable goes in looks like the Maverick probes with the rubber grommet crimped into the probe. That design doesn't work well on the Maverick probes, not sure why this one would be different.... Do we have probe coefficients for these probes?

If you had enough volume.... http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...meter-replacement-temperature_1907806613.html :) Seriously - if you hunt around you can probably find them in China or Hong Kong for a buck or two each.

That's the problem, I certainly wouldn't be doing it to make a living; just helping out fellow hobbyists in the UK. It would only be worth ordering maybe 25 each quarter as such a small number of people here appreciate great Q.

That said, Asda (part of WalMart) have been offering a really decent range to the UK this year. OK it's pulled pork, brisket etc. ready in the 30 minutes in the oven. OK, it's not like home cooked but certainly tastes good. We did ours in the Smoker but was good. Can't wait until I get the HM's together to do more from scratch :)

Jon.

Interesting.... It says you can use for immersion, but the end where the cable goes in looks like the Maverick probes with the rubber grommet crimped into the probe. That design doesn't work well on the Maverick probes, not sure why this one would be different.... Do we have probe coefficients for these probes?

I doubt we do and doubt they would be able to provide them. Mind you these days they may be manufacturing for Maverick et al, the volume thing always works.

Jon.

Yes, the Tx-1001x-OP is the pre set to use. I did the boiling water test to check the calibration and offset to match things up. The needle probe looks totally wareproof as they advertise you can use it in a sous vide.

Probe shape: bent, straight
Probe materials: SUS304
Lead-wire materials: Teflon wire, Silicone wire , Stainless steel braided or customized is available
Lead-wire length: 50 to 3,000mm or customized
Resistance at 25°C: 5 to 500KΩ available
B-value: 3,200 to 6000K available
Resistance tolerance: 1, 2, 3, 5%
Rated power: 10 to 20mW
Dissipation factor: 2 to 4mW

My point is not really to select a probe for you but that if you look you can probably find the Maverick mfg. and buy these things by the gross for pennies.

I have grown to hate Maverick probes, they take on water way too easily and fail, I have burned through so many of them I just wont buy them any more. I have grown to like the Thermoworks Pro probes, the bead they have where the cable enters the probe keeps water out and keeps the probe working longer. So far I haven't had a single Thermoworks probe fail due to water, the only way I have killed them is by heating them beyond their high end temp range, which is unfortunately just a bit about 500F. Thermoworks still has them on sale for 1/2 off, $7.50 per probe is a great deal....

Hey All - I'm just getting started with HeaterMeter. I ordered all (hopefully) my parts yesterday. I went with a couple of these Thermoworks probes (TX-1001X-OP). I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that I can use these for both the meat and the grill temps. If that is correct, how are you mounting the grill probe? Is there a mount I can buy somewhere or a recommended method?

I appreciate the help of my first of probably many questions. Thanks!

Back