Maverick ET732 issues?

Jason H.

TVWBB Member
All,

I had a previous post asking about the best remote viewing thermometer. The consensus (with a few outliers) was the Maverick ET732. The 733 looked nice but was $30 more. Ended up ordering it from Sears as I had a sears gift card from a birthday.

So from the previous post and looking online it seems this model can have issues with the probes. So I know what to look for when mine comes in, what issues have people had here with this thermometer?

Also any tricks/tips you have found with it?

Make sure you don't submerge your probes and be careful you don't crimp the wires in the lid of the smoker. Its kind of hit and miss. Some people use their probes for years and don't have issues. Some have to replace the probes often. Just take care of the probes and you will hopefully have good luck with them.

Jason I just ordered mine as my el cheapo bit the dust. My understanding is they just go bad eventually in some cases and that was the only complaint. Thats why I ordered a spare when I ordered it on Amazon through this site

So how do people (who don't have the 2013 model with the nice hole) pass their probes in? What I have been doing with my non-remote view thermometers is pass the probe wire through the lid vent hole. Not very nice when you need to take the lid off but it works.

Does anyone pass theirs through the charcoal/water pan fill hole on the side? Maybe drill a notch in the side of that door to let the probe pass in without crimping and put a magnet over that when you are done cooking and want to extinguish the remaining coals?

As far as submerging, to clean mine I use an SOS pad to get the food/smoke residue off the probe and then rinse it. Never put it in water. Anything else to worry about there?

I just let the smoker probe hang out in the top-vent and the food probe goes under the lid. Some drill a hole or cut a notch thru the lip on the mid-section.
I don't use my Mav very often, so that works for me..

Tim

Treated mine like a baby and the food probe still died. Got replacement from amazenproducts and am going to grind a slot in the middle section before using them this time. Lasted about 2 yr. Never wet. Just whatever gentle pressing by the lid when exiting the smoker.

I cut a slot in the top of the barrel of my WSM. I did the same thing to my Mini-Gold Joe. It is relatively easy to do and easier to use than a grommet. It is kind to your probe cables.

I am a big fan of the Maverick 732.

FWIW
Dale53

Could those who have cut notches please post some pics? With the enamel coating on the WSM I am a little hesitant to go near it with power tools.

I've had my Maverick for about 6 months and love it. I know other say this is a no-no, but I just run both wires under the lid and have not had a single problem (with either the WSM or the Maverick). I tried running them through the top vent, but the wires got in the way when I had to lift the lid (for whatever reason).

Back