Maverick ET-732 cable routing question

Dave_B

TVWBB Fan
So, I've read a few options on here and other forums.

I just got a new thermo for my B-day from the wife. For the one cook I did, I just was careful when closing the lid, but know this is not the preferred route.

Also new to me from Feb is a 26'er. I don't really like the idea of cutting/notching my new kettle.

I saw that the WSM's have some adapters made by Cajun and others that replace one of the grill supports. Are there any options for our Kettles?

I'm afraid of heat if I routed through the bottom vents, and obviously opening the lid could be a problem if the top vents are used.

Help me out fella's, what are you all doing?

For the Mav, the Cajun Bandit in the 3/8" size might have the "cleanest" appearance.
Many use the threaded lamp tube with two nuts and two washers to accomplish the same thing.
These are available at your hardware store.

Suggest using a Unibit for best results in drilling the required hole.

Last edited:
Being lazy, I run my cables through the top vent. It's kind of a pain when basting

Dave, the grommets from Cajun for the WSM requires you to drill the hole bigger to fit the Maverick. I purchased the grommet from Cajun for my WSM and later I notched my WSM. Notching is like getting married, it's scary but once you do it, you'll be happy.

Dave, the grommets from Cajun for the WSM requires you to drill the hole bigger to fit the Maverick. I purchased the grommet from Cajun for my WSM and later I notched my WSM. Notching is like getting married, it's scary but once you do it, you'll be happy.
That's a sig line right there !

;)

Thanks for the info guys.

I may soon, just get over it as far as drilling or cutting the 26. I made due with the 22 with no cuts in a decade, but the times are changing.

I've got a good step bit if I did decide to notch the hole for the Cajun or lamp rod trick. But I've only seen that done on WSM's. Where would be best on a kettle? Charcoal grate, or cooking grate? And will it then lean on that particular one or is it still pretty level?

My thought for now is possibly run under the lid for now and see if I "wear out" one of the leads. I've heard they can be somewhat sensitive.

Dave, I had the same concern that installing the grommet would tilt my grate and if it did, I have not noticed. I've seen people wrap foil around the probe wires in an attempt to reduce the pinch....just a thought.

Thanks for the info guys.

I may soon, just get over it as far as drilling or cutting the 26. I made due with the 22 with no cuts in a decade, but the times are changing.

I've got a good step bit if I did decide to notch the hole for the Cajun or lamp rod trick. But I've only seen that done on WSM's. Where would be best on a kettle?
Determine which way you orient your kettle in relation to an adjacent table (needed to perch transmitter).

Once I knew which side, I would punch a hole half way between the cooking grate and top lip of the bowl.
I would stay well away from the charcoal grate and the high temps down there.

And will it then lean on that particular one or is it still pretty level?
Dunno what this means.

Back