Maverick 732, grommets, probe position, and burn-in of new unit

Wayne E.

TVWBB Member
I have a new WSM 18.5, the Maverick 732 and the 3/8" grommet set on the way and have a couple clarifying questions after reading as many threads as I could on this subject.

Grommets:
My understanding is these 3/8" grommets replace the upper and lower bolts on the upper and lower grate brackets? I've never seen a WSM in person but the pictures I've been looking at it appears these bolts are 1/4" dia? So I assume the holes in the body of the unit and the grate brackets will need drilled out to a larger size. If the 3/8 grommet is 3/8 i.d, what is the o.d., how large does the hole need to be for mounting these?

Probe location:
My understanding is these grommets are intended to put the probe at grate level for measuring the unit temp? How are the probes secured, is there some sort of bracket that clips the probe to the grate and holds it a bit above grate level.

If these grommet locations are intended for the unit probe, how is the meat probe routed into the chamber? I see some folks go down through the top vent, others under the lid. Is it possible to go in through one, or one in each of the two grommets with the meat probe as well as the unit probe?

Unit burn-in/seasoning:
I've read some threads about seasoning new units. Spraying down the inside and outside with oil. What kind of oil? Do I fill a spray bottle with vegetable oil, or can Pam be used?
What temp, what duration, and how many times does this cycle need to be done for a 'seasoning'?

Thanks

There will be other opinions on the subject of seasoning, but I fired my 22.5 up for the first time with a full load and did about 8 racks of ribs, tri tips and chicken breasts by stacking cooking grates with small empty apple juice cans. Think I managed to get 5 or 6 grates on it with the top ones being grates for an 18.5 grill and a Smokey Joe. The WSM is a unique tool that lends itself very well to creative thinking.

I own both the ET-73 and the newer ET-732 and they both work the same way. There is a clip with a hole in it that you attach to the cooking grate and feed the chamber probe through the hole. They made a slight mod on the ET-732 clip so the probe doesn't slip out as easily. Some guys put the probe above the grate - some put it below. Since the difference is only a matter of about an inch I don't think it matters. I put mine below just so there is nothing obstructing my placement of the meat. I have no grommets so I just run my probe(s) under the lid. I didn't season my new unit - but I did notice that the more I used it the better it performed. It may run a little hot at first but after a few cooks and it builds up a layer of "gunk" it will settle down. DON'T SCRAPE OFF THE GUNK!!! One more thing - I switched out my water pan for a Brinkmann CHARCOAL pan. It holds just as much water but is more of a pan instead of a bowl so it doesn't dip down so close to your fire. But make sure you order the CHARCOAL pan NOT THE WATER PAN...THE WATER PAN WILL NOT FIT. I found this out the HARD way...
icon_confused.gif
Happy smokin'!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Dobz:
I thought the grommet kit didnt fit the probes of the newer 732?
Is there a new set you can buy that will fit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hopefully somebody more experienced will chime in to confirm or deny this but my understanding is the recently added 3/8" sized grommets from Cajun Bandit do fit the probes from the 732.

http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/

Thanks for the replies. So do those of you who use these type of grommets or the home-made grommets typically use them for both your grate and meat probes, or just the grate probe?

I have my own custom grommets -- one at the level of each grate. I've used one of these 3/8" internal diameter ports for three probes (the Maverick and another thermometer). There was room for at least one more.

I've run the probe under the lid but don't like to do it -- I want the lid to be secure and the probe to not be abraded (even though many say they haven't had an issue...).

Once when I didn't plan to use the meat probe, I stuck it down through the lid vent when I decided I needed it rather than threading through the hot WSM. WHAT A PAIN IN THE A--! Never again. Getting the probe in place was fine, but it required just too much juggling when I wanted to get to the meat. Now I pretty much run the probes even if I don't plan to use them.

Rich

Back