Matching rubs and sauces

Is there a good combination or natural mix for rubs and sauces? Sweet rub with sweet sauce? Spicy rub with a spicy sauce? I know it's "to taste" but curious if any consistencies?

Wow, that's a huge question and so many directions that you can take it. For me I like to feature flavors and carry them through. Like injecting my pulled pork with Makers Mark Bourbon and apple cider, and including those flavors in my BBQ sauce. Most of my stuff is sweet with heat in the background.

In the end it is about personal taste. Try a sweet on sweet, sweet on hot and hot on sweet. See what gets you fired up. (sorry about the pun...)

Thanks. What you say certainly makes a lot of sense. What makes your taste buds happy is what counts in the end. Just curious if there were "preferred" combinations and for what reasons.

Personally, I think the perfect BBQ is a heavenly combination of sweet, salt, and smoke, with a little earthiness.

....oh, and sometimes a touch of tang.
icon_cool.gif

As new as I am to the art and science of BBQ, when I nail a dish that I can do flavors repeatedly in rubs and sauces, I look for layers of taste that complement each other.
You wouldn't want a sauce on top that tastes like a wet rub. Nothing more tasty than breaking through multiple levels of taste and texture done just right. Takes a while to dial in.

Back