Maple and Birch

gdakins

Has anyone smoked with either Maple or Birch. I have some of both in my wood pile and wonder if it would be good to smoke with and if so what meats are good with it.

Maple is a popular wood to smoke with. Mild like a fruit wood and would go well with just about anything (maybe not fish). I am not sure about birch, but as a hardwood, it should be fine for smoking. Do a search in here for smoke woods and you will find a link to a chart with all the woods that can be used to smoke and what foods they recommend them for. Hope this helps.

I've used a local birch (paper birch I think). I don't worry about the bark with all smoke wood but I take it off with birch.

To compare it to something I'd say closer to hickory than anything else I've tried.

Maple is a good wood. I have used it many times in the paste for pork and chicken.

AFA Birch - never used it, but wouldn't be afraid to. Should be a pretty mild smoke. I noticed that the local super market sells white birch in bags next to the other bags of hardwood firewood.

I'm wondering if this holds true for ALL varieties of Maple. I have heard lots of people talk about sugar maple, but there are a bunch of other varieties like Silver or Norwegian that are very common in my area.

I'm thinking that Black Birch might be nice. It's the original taste for birch-beer soda. If you chew the bark of new branches, it's sweet and tasty, like birch beer. I'm thinking about cutting some. Anyone ever try it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dudley Rose:
I'm thinking that Black Birch might be nice. It's the original taste for birch-beer soda. If you chew the bark of new branches, it's sweet and tasty, like birch beer. I'm thinking about cutting some. Anyone ever try it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Black Birch/Sweet Birch, is the preffered Birch too use. IIRC.
icon_wink.gif
And Maple Leaf Lump for all those hosers up north.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dudley Rose:
I'm thinking that Black Birch might be nice. It's the original taste for birch-beer soda. If you chew the bark of new branches, it's sweet and tasty, like birch beer. I'm thinking about cutting some. Anyone ever try it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Black Birch/Sweet Birch, is the preffered Birch too use. IIRC.
icon_wink.gif
And Maple Leaf Lump for all those hosers up north.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ahh, Maple Leaf Lump, <inhale>, a mix of maple beech and birch lump charcoal.
icon_razz.gif

I take bark off paper birch because it is very oil and gives off a thick black smoke (it've very easy to light this stuff even if it's dripping wet). I dunno about the black birch.

I think I wouldn't go out of my way to order birch smoke wood but try smoking it if ya got it.

Back