Make your own Smoked Turkey Breast Lunch Meat

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Ok, been wanting to do this right for awhile....
Brine-cured a 3 lb turkey breast lobe (boneless) in per Ruhlman/Polcyn's basic cure. Mine in fact was even simpler. I skipped the herbs in the marinade; not sure they'd come through with the smoking process, so mine was sugar, salt, curing salt, peppercorns, smashed garlic and a bay leaf for a talisman. Brined for 48 hours, dried in the fridge for a couple hours, tied up and hit with a coating of my saltless pork/poultry rub (ancho, black and white pepper, cayenne, cinnamon, allspice, thyme).

Rubbed, tied up, probed and ready to go.
photo1_zpseee2899d.jpg

Kept the temp on the WSM to 220F more or less with a couple small apple wood chunks. It seemed to take forever; forgot exactly when I put it on, but around 5 hours start to finish. Considering that the turkey was lean, maybe that's about right...

Here it is out of the smoker.
photo2_zps97ad7370.jpg

Sliced with the Chef's Choice 610. Sammies for the week.
photo3_zpse161e9f5.jpg

With mustard, mayo, a little chow chow.
photo1_2_zps87860956.jpg

photo3_2_zps77665c7d.jpg

The turkey was great. Plenty of flavor. A bit salty; next time I may soak it in cold water after the brining to adjust that.
Thanks for the visit. - G

Gary, if you desire is to dial in your saltiness, I recommend getting away from a timed brine. Calculating an equilibrium brine is super simple, and can be injected if you want to speed up the process.

Back