Lump Coal

Ryan P.K.

TVWBB Pro
I cam across this webiste http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm the other day. I know the name sounds bad, but it is a safe site. They did some research on lump coal. They gave their opinion on a lot of different brands. I like the info the gave, so i thought I would share it with you guys.

Naked Whiz has a great site. Lots of info there. Not just lump charcoal. I think he has an account here too. Haven't seen him post in a while though.

It's a handy site. I think the reader survey rankings ( http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm ) are more useful than his reviews, just because things change, etc. etc. If you can find any charcoal in the top 10 sold locally definitely try it out and see what you like. You'll also notice that you'll find local varieties that aren't listed there - like Lazzari Mesquite is listed but if you go to the factory or a few BBQ shops in that area they also other varieties (they have a very nice oak charcoal).

Royal Oak for me too!
Recently re-tried Cowboy and it's quite a bit different than when I first tried it in 06. No flooring scraps or pcs of balsa/plywood that I noticed. Mostly medium to large branches and a decent mix of small to medium sizes.
For about 13 bucks for 20lbs not a bad price for decent lump.

Tim

Just picked up two bags of Royal Oak (Higly Recommended by the site) for last night steaks and tonight's Chicken Mojo Criollo. May need to get some more for my Pork Loin entry that I'm doin Sun.

R/O the most common where I am and I use it for most everything. I made a charcoal basket which I think is better suited for it and it lasts up pretty well in the smoker although I have not done any overnight cooks with it.

Well, here is my next question. Has anybody tried Kingsford Charcoal with Hickory or Kingsford Charcoal with Mesquite?

I don't use K, but I tried the Royal Oak briqs with Hickory and to me it was a waste of money. As far as I could tell they imbedded small pcs of wood (pea size) into the briqs.
Better to add smoke-wood chunks to you're choice of fuel.

Tim

Royal Oak lump quality has suffered in the past few years. I see non-hardwood char, un-charred wood and, the worst, un-charred bark. BGE is Royal Oak, but I think it's a little better quality.

The Naked Whiz is a great site.

I've used Royal Oak lump, and have had great results with it.

Bob

Wicked Good is wonderful and I drive about a half hour each way to get it.

Royal Oak is fine, I have no objections to it, except it's not very dense and you might find that your cook times before having to add more charcoal are much lower than if you use something with a little more heft like Wicked Good.

Wicked Good is wonderful and I drive about a half hour each way to get it.

Royal Oak is fine, I have no objections to it, except it's not very dense and you might find that your cook times before having to add more charcoal are much lower than if you use something with a little more heft like Wicked Good.

Ace Hardware will ship it free to local store for you to pick up assuming you have an Ace Hardware closer than a half hour from you.

Good to know. One of the places I get it is actually an Ace Hardware that keeps it in stock but there are probably closer Ace Hardwares. But I also just discovered a BBQ supply place that carries it - it's about the same drive in another direction, so there's no time savings there, but they have a good rub/smoke wood selection so there's something to be said for supporting them.

I'm also roughly a half an hour from the Lazzari factory in yet another direction and I get their mesquite and oak charcoal there, both of which I like for grilling. Really cheap, too.

Back