Lump Coal vs. The New Kingsford Competition Briquets

Ernest Buckley

TVWBB Fan
I`ve been using Lump Coal for about 18 months now... it took me a while to find it and now it seems to be gaining popularity which is great. It costs a bit much for the amount you get but boy... does it make a difference to the flavor of food.

Now, is it just me or does the new Kingsford Competition Charcoal have a funky odor to it? It sure burns hot like lump coal but the flavor.... hmmmm... thats still up in the air...

Just wondering if anyone has many similar observations.

I used K comp my last low and slow and didn't like it at all. The exhaust had an off smell to it the whole cook. K Comp works pretty good for grilling it just smokes a lot when starting.

I use Kingsford Blue more than anything, but I won't buy another bag of King Comp...Maybe I'm using it wrong, but it has no value to me whatsoever...

I also use lump, mainly Wicked Good, Publix and Royal Oak. I haven't experienced the boost in flavor, yet.

It takes a little getting used to to use lump effectively and efficiently, mainly breaking up the large lumps and spreading them out once hot to mimic briquettes.

If you can get your hands on some Rancher or Trader Joe's all natural briquettes(also Rancher), that stuff is cheap and it lasts for a long time. I smoked a brisket last weekend on my 22.5 WSM for 15 hrs without having to add anymore charcoal using the Minion method and the TJ's/Rancher charcoal. I noticed the briquettes were larger than Kingsford and I only used about 17lbs of the TJ's/Rancher charcoal with plenty to leftover after the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
comp=competition. for me its price is a bit much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

duh... I`m a little slow.

icon_smile.gif

thx,
EB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillW:
If you can get your hands on some Rancher or Trader Joe's all natural briquettes(also Rancher), that stuff is cheap and it lasts for a long time. I smoked a brisket last weekend on my 22.5 WSM for 15 hrs without having to add anymore charcoal using the Minion method and the TJ's/Rancher charcoal. I noticed the briquettes were larger than Kingsford and I only used about 17lbs of the TJ's/Rancher charcoal with plenty to leftover after the cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, good to know. Time to stop in at Trader Joes! I`ll have to try it for my next smoke.

I used to be absolutely sold on Comp K up until about two months ago. Our HDs ran out for whatever reason and RO was suggested as a replacement by someone here. I'll never go back to Comp K or any K at all. I am VERY happy with RO as it burns cleaner, longer, and FAR less ash than any K. I even checked Naked Whiz and RO was highly recommended there too.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Sylvester:
I am VERY happy with RO as it burns cleaner, longer, and FAR less ash than any K. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In addition to the above I also like the fact that the unspent lump can be used the same as if you just poured it out of the bag.

So far I've been using lump for straight grilling and am very pleased with it. This bag is the store brand from BBQs galore. I used one other brand but can't recall. What I do NOT like is the fact that you have some small chunks the size of smoke wood and then some tree branches. No consistency at all.

I've been using Blue K for my smoking as it is more consistent heat. I bought the Comp, but have not used yet.

I'd like to try royal oak and also the Trader Joe's stuff, so will look for both.

Are there any online retailers you guys can recommend? I don`t know if its because I`m in the city but the only options I have are Kingsford and Cowboy Lump Coal which is what I`ve been using mostly but I`m still looking for options.

Besides the usual places, check fireplace stores which very well might sell grills and supplies. Also, ice and coal retailers often sell that stuff too. I know near where I work there's a business that has "ice and coal" in its name that also sells lump charcoal.

There looks to be a Barbeques Galore out in Yonkers. They have their in-house brand of lump that I use. They also have a good selection of smoke woods, chunk or chips (though not oak which saddens me). The one by me has a solid selection of smokers including our bullet, big green egg, etc. Also have all the rubs and sauces

Also look at Jetmore Fireplace Center (as suggested by previous poster) in Wantagh on Long Island. They appear to have all the grills and rubs etc. They have a website you can check out

Not in Brooklyn, but relatively close

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:
Are there any online retailers you guys can recommend? I don`t know if its because I`m in the city but the only options I have are Kingsford and Cowboy Lump Coal which is what I`ve been using mostly but I`m still looking for options. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Check Walmart - they carry Royal Oak around here.

Bought a 12lb bag last year and liked it for grilling, but thought it a bit pricey. This year the price is the same but the bag weight is reduced to 11.3lb. If I buy briqs they will be the Wally World brand-$5.27 for 18lbs-good enuogh for grilling.

Back